No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: I am bidding on this, would love to know what it is  (Read 5950 times)

Offline Patricia H

• Members
I am bidding on this, would love to know what it is
« on: July 07, 2007, 07:52:21 PM »
Hi all....I found this pretty weight on the UK Ebay site:

I'm bidding on it, reserve isn't met yet, but would love some feedback on what it might be.

Thank you!
Pat in VA

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline karelm

• Members
Re: I am bidding on this, would love to know what it is
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 08:51:42 PM »
Hi again,
From novice to novice the following """rules""" of the list. (These are my perceptions and the elders may shoot me down for this but ....ok you get the idea):
The real "boffins" wont respond as most of them wont comment on an auction that is still "live".
If you want to learn it is better to search the items that have been sold and ask questions about them. 
Dont ask if an item is worth X, Y or Z as you will get the standard response "depends where you sell it, ebay, auction, bootsale all have different prices and these mostly depend on what the buyer thinks it is worth."  I have learnt enough here to agree with this sentiment.
Another thing, if a person lists a website in their signature, go have a look!  There are several people on this board that have amazing websites where you can learn a lot
PS:I however am ignorant enough to respond to your original question ;D
I recon the weight referred to is murano.  And BTW I am also bidding on the item. :-X
PSS: I think we need a list of other tips on the paperweight section, almost a tutorial, to help all that become intrested?!?!
Karel
"Holy cows make the best steaks"

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Derek

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 09:14:58 PM »
Hi Pat in VA

In my view this is a Murano weight - the flat polished base and the adventurine ground are the clues. Here is one I have in my collection - you will see the similarities

http://i14.tinypic.com/4r2si1z.jpg

The one you are bidding on is a good size and the style is called a closepack but if you look carefully at the picture top right on the ad you will see some marks on the glass dome - they may be nothing but they could be chips you would need to check this will the seller.

If you look at the picture below this you will see a crescent mark in the glass - this is called a string or a chord and is basically a fault in the way the glass was made.

The seller has set a reserve on the weight - to my knowledge the MINIMUM reserve that can be set in this category on E-bay UK is £50. I must say that £50 for such a weight is in my view on the high side.

Karelm gives some good advise - look at other web site and more especially finished auctions on e-bay.

A very good and cheap!  beginners guide to paperweights that I would recommend is the Millers collectors guide to paperweights of the 19th and 20th century written by Anne Metcalfe - there are usually copies available on E-bay.

Feel free to PM me if you need any more guidance.

Hope this helps

Derek

Offline theglassnut

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 10:36:59 PM »
hi pat, as the reserve may be set at £50 and it might have some damage, if it was me i would just carry on looking as there are many more examples on ebay for less.

kindest regards theglassnut...

Offline glasstrufflehunter

• Members
    • My Yahoo 360 page & Paperweight Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 11:01:54 PM »
I'm not a 'boffin' nor am I an expert. But I am very familiar with Fratelli Toso. Both weights look like FT.
I collect Scottish and Italian paperweights and anything else that strikes my fancy.

My Paperweight Blog

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 11:02:23 PM »
Hi Pat, not only is the reserve at least £50, but the user id's are being kept secret.  I find this suspicious as it allows for shill bidding. 

I am making no accusations, but I find it very strange when user id's are kept secret on perfectly normal things like this.

Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Offline Patricia H

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 02:31:58 AM »
Hello all of you.   Please believe me when I say I don't try to use this site to decide what to buy or not.     I probably have 30 weights, most of them cheap, but I didn't want to invest a lot in them until I learn more about them.
And also, I do use the paperweight sites bookmarked on this site....they are wonderful!  I have bookmarked so many sites, in fact, the list is a mile long.  I find them tremendously helpful.  I have spent hours and hours looking at them, and then looking at ones on ebay, to see if I can identify anything.  Most of my purchases have been weights that I like, not what they are worth.
When I spotted the clichy and bidded on it, then asked about it here...and was told it was a St. Mande Clichy....I knew I would never win it.   I am not in a position to spend a lot of money on weights so I used the information you gave to study it, and gave up on  buying it.
When I saw the one listed as a St. Mande last night, I knew again I could not win it, but thought it might be something some of you would like.  I posted that link in my other post thread.
I can recognize a clichy rose, but most I cannot.  When I see unusual canes, I try to find them by research and sometimes come to the board for advice.

I know it will take years for me to learn the ins and outs of collecting pw's.   I do wish we had a site with just photos of canes...not just a few but a lot. 

One of the types of weights I like are the Mdina weights.  They are rare here in the states and that's why I like to to go to the UK ebay.  You have such a better collection there, and I know if I ever have any hopes of buying a perthshire it will be there and not in the US.  That's a purchase I will make later....the one I buy will reach at and jump at me, and I'll know it's the one I want.  I get a little thrill out of using what I have learned here, to try to spot a little treasure...whether I can buy it or not.

I look at the weights, save them, and then go back and look more closely and start deleting ones that I don't really like or suspect are Chinese, or I simply can't afford.   Then the rest, I just watch, and see how high the bidding goes.  Right now I am watching or bidding on a Mdina and a Toso and several Pershires.   

The weight I posted here, because of the seller's remarks and the reserve, I pretty much gave up on but am still interested in what it might be.

My brother sent me here originally, as he said you were all very helpful in researching his friend's mother's weight collection.  She had wanted them catalogued before her death and after her death, given away to family and friends.   My brother completed that for her, as far as listing them, but still doesn't know about most of them.  But they weren't for sell anyway, they were to be "given away to family and friends".  This is the site they made for her when she passed:

http://www.leewynkoopcollection.com/

I received two of the weights as a gift.

So please know I am not trying to profit off your knowledge, but to learn, and possibly  help identify some of her weights.  I feel I am picking up where she left off.  She was a remarkable woman, and sparked my interest in collecting weights.

After rambling on and on...those of you who are still with me....I want to thank you for your advice and opinions, for you've taught me what I know.

Thanks so much....Pat in VA

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 09:25:02 AM »
When I spotted the clichy and bidded on it, then asked about it here...and was told it was a St. Mande Clichy....I knew I would never win it.

Hey Pat  :)

It might be worth considering posting an item you'd like information on after the auction has closed.  You can still learn just as much that way. By putting on the GMB, you're making that item public knowledge and the bidding could go up, affecting you and anyone else that's got it in their sights!

Not a bad thing for sellers certainly, but not so good for the ordinary buyer.  ;) :)

I am not a man

Offline Patricia H

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 11:01:00 AM »
Lesson learned, Max.   :) :-X

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2007, 11:56:48 AM »
Pat, do have a look in the Glass Market Place on here from time to time, you will find that a lot of the dealers here highlight any sales of particular interest to this forum, and you may find some interesting items that way.  Also, the Market Place is open to anyone who wants to sell glass - you don't have to be a dealer, you might be looking to lighten up your collection, and you can reach other collectors easily on that forum.

Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand