No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: I am bidding on this, would love to know what it is  (Read 5923 times)

Offline karelm

• Members
Re: I am bidding on this, would love to know what it is
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2007, 06:00:38 PM »
Patricia,
Keep whatching those perthshire weights they are amazing, I have several of them in my humble collection and love them. 
BUT if you like them, have a search around for John Deacons weights, not only on ebay, his millefiori weights are very good value for money (somebody here told me that and sorry I cant remember who!)  After hearing that I have looked around and I agree his weights are the best value for money I could find.
Also if you want to build up a long term collection, like the one your mother in law had, he is a good bet as his weights are cheap now, they are lovely and well made AND will become more and more sought after as they get older.  His small weights go cheaply on normal bidding (I have bought for +- 5 pounds normally a bit more) and the larger one's for about 20 on a good day!  He also has some nice faceted and moulded weights. 
Peter McDougal(sp?) is another one to watch allthough I find his more difficult as his dont come up as regularly.
Very important is not to get stuck on ebay if you are looking for these two, there are people who buy their weights and sell them on ebay for profit....you could cut out the middle man!
Then ofcourse there is Strathearn that can be cheap or very dear depending on the day of the week!!
Good luck!
KarelM
PS:....and your brother did send you to the right place for friendly and knowledgeable people! 
Karel
"Holy cows make the best steaks"

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glasstrufflehunter

• Members
    • My Yahoo 360 page & Paperweight Blog
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2007, 10:16:18 PM »
'twas I.  ;D

PaperweightsPlus has really reasonable prices on John Deacon's general range millefiori. Less than Ebay most of the time. His higher end weights can be very dear. But they are also quite special. He has some gingham overlays that are utterly amazing. I had a special commission done by him recently and it turned out gorgeous.

PaperweightsPlus also carries a lot of McDougall's stuff too. His work is breathtaking. His miniature millefiori is very reasonable. My most recent one is a g28 with a tangerine ground and cobalt blue cane. It looks like it's glowing.

http://www.paperweightsplus.com/
I collect Scottish and Italian paperweights and anything else that strikes my fancy.

My Paperweight Blog

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Patricia H

• Members
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2007, 12:17:54 AM »
Thanking you again for the advice.  I did purchase a small McDougall and it really is quality work.  I have a small Deacons that I found by accident...I think I might have asked about it on here.   I just thought it was pretty and didn't know what it was.  When it arrived, I noticed some initials on the center cane, stk, and was told it was one of his St. Kilda pw's.   You are right, they are both wonderful glass makers!

I will pass the info along to my brother that you provided, GT, I'm sure he'll appreciate it.

Last night I purchased this weight because I loved the color.

I like getting away from the millifiori sometimes and look at other things, but still wish I could identify the canes.  Oh well, comes with time, I'm sure!   

Hot in Virginia today....have you dried out over there yet?

Talk to you again soon, I'm sure.
Thanks again, you're a great bunch of people.
Pat

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Patricia H

• Members
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2007, 12:35:41 AM »
Paperweights Plus is a great site...I just went there!  Thanks all!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand