No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: whitefriars vase  (Read 1443 times)

Offline RAY

• Members
whitefriars vase
« on: July 08, 2007, 02:09:34 PM »
got a few bit's this morning and this is one of them, i'm sure it's WF but what colour is it?

click image

cheers Ray

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline RAY

• Members
Re: whitefriars vase
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 02:20:48 PM »
hi Emmi

it's 9.5" high and 6" across the top
cheers Ray

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 02:44:41 PM »
Hi Ray, I still don't believe it is.  Oddly I saw another one recently in a Collectors Centre, exactly the same size and shape as yours but in a very Whitefriars-like Sapphire Blue.one of their flag ship colours as you probably know........the bubbles on both yours and the one I saw are the same, and I have to say very similar to the way Whitefriars did them.  I have quite a large collection of the William Wilson bubbled designs and none of them are more than 8 inches tall, and as far as I can see in the catalogues there are none as tall as yours.  Wish I could be more positive, and always happy to be proved wrong, but  don't think they are W.F.  Webb did a lot of similar stuff, but I am no expert so don't know if they did the pinkkish colour of yours.  emmi

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 06:03:55 PM »
thanks Emmi, tried to put it on the WF forum see if someone on there know who made it, but can't log on for some reason, will try later, thanks for the help
cheers Ray

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 04:12:18 PM »
Hi Ray, I have had a very close look at all my William Wilson bubbled vases.  One of the biggest and most obvious difference (apart from size and colour) is the base.  All of mine have a lobed base, even the very small tumbler shaped vase, whereas yours has an angled edge flat base like a normal tumbler glass. Emmi

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 12:18:25 PM »
Hello Ray,

The two pictures of the base seem to be more accurate on colour than the one of the whole vase. If I am right with that assumption, then I would suggest that this vase is made by Stevens & Williams/Royal Brierley.

The colour and the bubble distribution both hint that direction, although Emmi is right to mention Webb.

Nigel

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2007, 04:05:29 PM »
Thanks for reminding me of Stevens and Williams/Royal Brierley, Nigel........don't know why but I always forget them and it's a good possibility that this is by them.  Emmi

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand