Glass Discussion & Research. NO IDENTIFICATION REQUESTS here please. > British & Irish Glass

Isle of Man OR other copies of Isle of Wight's Minimal and Maximal range

<< < (2/5) > >>

Martyn K:
Hi,

These are mostly immitations of the IOW minimal and maximal ranges from the mid 80s...I seem to remember a discussion about these a few months ago when they first appeared and were at that time mostly coming from a seller in the Norfolk area. Could well be Chinese but definately not IOW.

Martyn.

PS. note the 3 day listing!!

Frank:
It turns out that the Minimal and Maximal range were designed by IOW but outsourced to Isle of Man glass. IOM glass was staffed by ex Wedgwood glassmakers and apart from those made for IOW, they also made more than they were supposed to and sold them to a company called Espagna International. Needless to say, both of those naughty companies are out of business.

So these on eBay can be regarded as fraudulent copies. Which is an interesting status. The seller is not breaking any rules and they are effectively second-hand fraudulent copies. Apart from any IOW marking, these would be indistinguishable from the originals.

Does anyone have an IOW original, can they confirm if marked?

Lustrousstone:
I was just going to add what Martyn has just said, having found the polar bear's cousin in my new Michael Harris book

Martyn K:
Hi Frank,

IOM did produce these as you say, but I still suspect they may be new, unless someone has just discovered boxes full of them in an old stock room? They only seem to have appeared on the market in the last year in these sort of numbers....and the colours of some  look odd to my eye at least. Still they are decorative and if as you say they are IOM production his description would be factually correct. Dont think IOW Glass would be overjoyed though.!!!

Frank:
I presume that IOW knew about these being produced, old stock batches of things do often appear on the market... often when a distributor goes out of business the store rooms get cleared and voila! It seems unlikely that someone would suddenly be producing a relatively low value range where so much is consistent with the original.

It would clearly be useful to know how the IOW ones can be identified as these will be physically identical, if only a label then that means they probably cannot be separated.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version