No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Isle of Man OR other copies of Isle of Wight's Minimal and Maximal range  (Read 10219 times)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Re: St.John's Glass Isle of Man and Isle of Wight Glass.
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2008, 05:23:31 PM »
There is a link.  I too have an animal with a triangular St.John's Crystal label, although it isn't in azurene but a kind of mottled 'tortoise shell' effect.  The Isle of Wight Studio Glass Forum kindly informed me that a range of animals was produced for a very limited period between 1983-5.  They were produced at St.Johns Crystal on the Isle of Man for commercial reasons.  There was a range of 18 different animals and they were called maximals or minimals depending on size and produced in 'Black Azurene' and 'Gold Azurene' and originally a coloured range which must be mine. 

--------------------------

n.b.  Just spotted Steve's reply with link before posting the above.  :)

Anne E.B

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2008, 06:34:09 PM »
Did anyone ever follow up those left in a warehouse? The Zoo would like some images of these too  ;)

Can mods merge this thread with the linked one if they think it a good idea?

Mod: done :)

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2008, 11:17:26 PM »
I would like to thank all of you who have taken the trouble to reply. I have read the link, and that has some very interesting reading.  Does anyone know who actually made the minimals range.....was it Michael Harris?
I have squirrels, hedghogs, birds and ducks, and some of them have exquisite detail.
Any further information, especially about the St.John's crystal factory making the pieces for commercial reasons, would be appreciated......is there a website I can go to for more info?
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2008, 10:01:43 AM »
The Maximals and Minimals were made at St John's Glass under license from Michael for the Azurene finish. Two former Wedgwood glassmakers made the pieces and trained new glassmakers, hence the similarity of some of the animals with some of the Wedgwood animals. Michael conceived the other designs. Info Michael Harris Mdina Glass & Isle of Wight Studio Glass, Mark Hill http://www.markhillpublishing.com/

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2008, 10:13:12 AM »
Thank you so much for that information. I know so much about Langham glass, but very little about this lot, and was totally ignorant of the Wedgwood connection. I have a minimal elephant as well, and thought it looked so like the Wedgwood shape!!

I will have to post a message about another piece I have.....this has been so helpful.
Any other info on St. John's or IOW glass will always be appreciated......never too old to learn!!
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand