No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Isle of Man OR other copies of Isle of Wight's Minimal and Maximal range  (Read 10149 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Does anyone have any ideas about a company Studio Glass Factory, in England, around 1980's... source http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250140015282

Seller has a lot in this vein...

(Title updated to reflect ID)

Offline Quackers

• Members
    • www.plantpref.co.uk
Re: Studio Glass Factory, in England, around 1980's
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 09:17:09 PM »
Looking at the colours and the metal leaf inclusion (would that be aventurine?) they remind me of Isle of Wight - could they be friggers or made by someone who used to work there?
Tim

I started with Carnival glass, then other C20 irridescent, then Whitefriars ducks, then Dartington FT Daisies etc, then Whitefriars Tricorns...when will it end?

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 07:27:14 AM »
Metal leaf inclusion can be anyone, I do not see any aventurine.

But what of the company claimed by the seller, not one that gets anywhere with Google? Note also that the seller has batches of similar goods which implies clearance sale lots. The golf club head has it label blacked out too ???

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 07:47:31 AM »
Looking at the seller's other items, they look like the sort of stuff I can buy from several local market traders. Round here they all go to the same wholesaler I think. I would say the same of the glass. Made abroad for a UK label. I'll keep my eyes open

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 07:51:46 AM »
Well, it's not unknown for gold inclusions in Chinese weights.

One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline Martyn K

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 08:01:34 AM »
Hi,

These are mostly immitations of the IOW minimal and maximal ranges from the mid 80s...I seem to remember a discussion about these a few months ago when they first appeared and were at that time mostly coming from a seller in the Norfolk area. Could well be Chinese but definately not IOW.

Martyn.

PS. note the 3 day listing!!

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 09:27:59 AM »
It turns out that the Minimal and Maximal range were designed by IOW but outsourced to Isle of Man glass. IOM glass was staffed by ex Wedgwood glassmakers and apart from those made for IOW, they also made more than they were supposed to and sold them to a company called Espagna International. Needless to say, both of those naughty companies are out of business.

So these on eBay can be regarded as fraudulent copies. Which is an interesting status. The seller is not breaking any rules and they are effectively second-hand fraudulent copies. Apart from any IOW marking, these would be indistinguishable from the originals.

Does anyone have an IOW original, can they confirm if marked?

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 09:30:30 AM »
I was just going to add what Martyn has just said, having found the polar bear's cousin in my new Michael Harris book

Offline Martyn K

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 10:07:57 AM »
Hi Frank,

IOM did produce these as you say, but I still suspect they may be new, unless someone has just discovered boxes full of them in an old stock room? They only seem to have appeared on the market in the last year in these sort of numbers....and the colours of some  look odd to my eye at least. Still they are decorative and if as you say they are IOM production his description would be factually correct. Dont think IOW Glass would be overjoyed though.!!!

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 10:42:00 AM »
I presume that IOW knew about these being produced, old stock batches of things do often appear on the market... often when a distributor goes out of business the store rooms get cleared and voila! It seems unlikely that someone would suddenly be producing a relatively low value range where so much is consistent with the original.

It would clearly be useful to know how the IOW ones can be identified as these will be physically identical, if only a label then that means they probably cannot be separated.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand