No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Isle of Man OR other copies of Isle of Wight's Minimal and Maximal range  (Read 10144 times)

Offline Martyn K

• Members
Re: Isle of Man copies of Isle of Wight's Minimal and Maximal range
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2007, 11:03:21 AM »
Hi Frank,

Your probably right (I'm a suspicious sort) though certain of the rarer colours - like blue for example - can achieve good prices that might make it financially viable. IOW is only marked with labels, Michael Harris would on rare occasions sign pieces (and there are plenty of fake versions of those out there) but on small pieces like these it's extremely unlikely.

So as Ron Wheeler is often heard saying 'caveat emptor' (buyer beware)

Offline Martyn K

• Members
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2007, 01:43:50 PM »
IOW is only marked with labels

I should correct myself....earlier IOW Studio Glass upto circa 1981 of course is often marked with thier flame in gather prunt embossed to the base. Pieces from circa 1981 on including the minimal/maximal range generally have a nice clean unmarked polished base. Labels (or remnants of) are often found on the bases of this size piece

Also just had a closer look at all of those offered (now they ended unsold) and I'm even more certain none are IOW or IOM. One of the pears seems to be propped up to stop it falling over.!!

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2007, 01:49:15 PM »
The price they are being offered at is surely too low to be interesting to fake and they also look to be well made?

Perhaps one of our glassmakers can comment on the potential cost of making such a range for so little reward?

If Chinese they should show up on one of the wholesale sites.

Offline Martyn K

• Members
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2007, 01:54:22 PM »
Point taken...but have a look at Ron and Annes 'Artius Glass' site under the Azurene section to see what these pieces (if right) can achieve today and it looks much more profitable....

http://www.artiusglass.co.uk

Offline MarkHill

• Author
  • Members
    • Mark Hill Publishing
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2007, 02:30:32 PM »
Hi All,
I saw these last week too. I don't think they're very nice or very well made at all - most have badly applied, 'burnt' precious metal leaf - but each to their own!
I alerted Elizabeth & Timothy Harris to their presence as soon as I saw them. In my opinion, as suggested above, they are most certainly not Isle of Wight Studio Glass pieces at all, and nor do I think were they made 'officially' on the Isle of Man for IOWSG.
I think the quality is comparatively very poor, and the colours of the base glass (bar white - very, very rare - and black) are wrong for either studio. The shapes, however, are based on IOWSG designs produced there and mainly on the Isle of Man (St John's Crystal). My research for my book uncovered that these sorts of shapes in these sorts of colours and 'finishes' were produced just before the Isle of Man studio closed, and also by a couple of other studios/factories afterwards. As has been suggested, these may be from surviving late stock from the Isle of Man studio, or similar from another. Also, they may be being made today. The quality is comparatively poor (tho I'm sure I could only do worse!) and labour and materials, particularly in China, is cheap - so who knows? It's a cute, novelty line of fairly easily worked shapes that could feasibly sell very well in the West. I also never came across the name 'Studio Factory Glass' in my research.
Whatever their country of origin, they are derived from and closely resemble IOWSG designs, but are not purporting to be by them. Therefore, they are not really fakes in the truest sense of the description. It also depends whether IOWSG are or have since been able to protect the designs, including the Azurene finish, in any way.
Incidentally, the range of Azurene Minimal/Maximal animals is not made today. When they were made they were marked with black triangular labels, which can of course be removed. I've never, ever seen one signed by Michael Harris with his name - it'd be fun to see how he could fit it on such a small space!!
I hope they go away as they only create confusion, and I don't think that they are anywhere near as good as the IOWSG originals.
Best,
Mark
www.markhillpublishing.com
Text and images © Mark Hill
www.markhillpublishing.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2007, 03:37:51 PM »
There has been discussion on the Azurene finish here, although in particular to the use of metal foil as decoration. We have (in this forum) traced the history of the technique back to circa 1878 with occurrences in various places since then at different times.

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,7608.0.html

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
After IOM went bust the contents of the studio were offered for sale in 1987 by the receiver at £4,500. The sale included 100's of items of glass - I am not able to determine if they were sold. It is possible that they did not sell and got forgotten in a warehouse until more recent times.

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Re: Studio Glass Factory, in England, around 1980's
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2007, 09:37:09 AM »
Does anyone have an IOW original, can they confirm if marked?

This is my little elephant from the coloured range.  It has the triangular sticker marked St.John 's Crystal, I.O.W. (correction) I.O.M. on the base.  Great quality piece.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/misc864.jpg
Anne E.B

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
St.John's Glass Isle of Man and Isle of Wight Glass.
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2008, 04:36:07 PM »
Hi, please can anybody throw some light on a conundrum I have?
Is there a link with the Isle of Man glassworks (St. John's) and  Isle of Wight Glass?
I have 2 identical pieces of azurene glass (little animals), and one has a St.John's Glass Isle of Man sticker,and the other has an Isle of Wight Glass sticker on it.
I wondered if Michael Harris could be the link here???
Any help appreciated, thanks.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline stevetheb

• Members
Re: St.John's Glass Isle of Man and Isle of Wight Glass.
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2008, 05:16:38 PM »
I'd read this thread....

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,16131.msg94836.html#msg94836 Mod: topics merged for completeness

Which has some detail on just what you ask...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand