No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Vase by unknown artist - ID = Eickholt  (Read 3124 times)

Offline Paul ADK

• Members
Vase by unknown artist - ID = Eickholt
« on: June 30, 2007, 02:48:50 AM »
The base on this 4 3/4" vase is marked 1994-1 or 19941, and with the very clear letters VSRA.  The artists name begins with a beautiful script letter E.  As best I can make out, the name is something like Euhhoee.  The only letters that I am confident about are E**ho*e.  Any suggestions as to the correct name/spelling and country of origin, will be greatly appreciated.  Click to enlarge and see "next photo for a shot of the base..

Thanks,
Paul ADK

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Vase by unknown artist
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 05:59:17 AM »
Hi Paul, nice vase. Can you rotate the base pic 90 deg anticlockwise please. It will give Adam a better chance of identifying it - Adam being the scribble expert  ;D

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 06:39:56 AM »
Hi Paul,
I think that it says Eicholt.  :)

Have a look at this and see if it is similar, Paul:  http://www.goantiques.com/scripts/images,id,1031981.html#image4
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 07:00:23 AM »

Here is another one, Paul. http://www.burchardgalleries.com/auctions/2005/sep2505/01images/l314.htm and it matches yours.

It is a little confusing as the name is Eickholt (USA), but lots of pieces are signed Eicholt.  :-\
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2007, 04:28:53 PM »

Just a little more information for you, Paul. Kindly passed on to me.

The letters on the base of the vase stand for:
1st = Shape ( V for vase, etc.)
2nd = Size
3rd and 4th = Name of design

Also, there are more and more faked Eickholt sigs on paperweights being seen. The biggest clue to spotting a fake is the E at the beginning of Eickholt. The fakes usually have a block style E.

Offline Paul ADK

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007, 06:04:00 PM »
Thank you so much for the information.  Without your help, I would never have deciphered the name Eickholt. 

Isn't it a shame that artists who would obviously like the recognition that comes from signing their work, don't take the time to make the signatures legible?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand