No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: glass interiors  (Read 3791 times)

Offline nanz

• Members
glass interiors
« on: July 13, 2007, 11:04:56 AM »
hi i have been working with glass since the last 6 months ..basicly into designing ..have been wanting to give a crackeld effect with glass by actually cracking and sandwhiching it between 2 glasses......need help on how to get the perfect finish   ???

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: glass interiors
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 05:22:56 PM »
Are you talking flat glass?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline nanz

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 09:07:40 AM »
ya i am taking about flat glass .....this kind of work is beeing done with  Glass bysections for interiors  :) in my part of the world .

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 04:03:50 PM »
I've seen an interesting interior design piece which utilise the same kind of safety glass that's used in car windscreens and large architectural window panes - the stuff that will shatter upon impact but not fall apart. It was sandwiched between two sheets of unbroken safety glass, sealed at the edges with a brushed steel trim and used as a dining table top. It was very striking.

Is this the kind of thing you mean?

Offline nanz

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 07:12:46 AM »
Well will surely try this one out  ;D…….hae I dint know I would find a site so helpful …n getting ideas from so many experienced people here is great !!!!Thanks .Would like to also know about staked walls of glass that are being used as partitions these days by use of VU solution .Have been working with UV too but only for sticking beveled clusters .Do we just stick one piece of glass over the other or we need to follow some technique. And can we use a regular strong UV solution to bind them together. 

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 10:32:44 AM »
A lot of glass furniture is made using UV-setting glues. For furniture and decorative walls, you have to consider safety, sharp edges, quality of joints, sound engineering/structural principles etc. As to the glue, follow the manufacturers advice, contact the manufacture to determine suitability for your intended use and for any additional safety advice they can offer.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 06:03:22 PM »
The manufacturer should be able to give you a safety or specification sheet*  which should tell you most of what you need to know re usage of the UV product, and any certification the product has, i.e as in the UK's BS accreditation, etc.  (* in the UK these are called Material Safety Data Sheets.)

You might also find the publications here about Architectural Glass to be of use: http://www.glass.com/index1.php as might the articles and forums here: http://www.glassonweb.com/ which is focused on industrial/architectural glass rather than collectable glass.

Hope this might be helpful to you. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline nanz

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2007, 06:52:38 AM »
Of late I have started air brushing art on glass …could u tell me any pointers to enhance the finish and tips on getting gud results n ya anything I need to be careful about. :D

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2007, 12:13:13 PM »
Paint does not bond so it will only ever be temporary. If you use enamels they will need to be heat fused although new materials are being developed now that chemically bond to glass using UV.

Offline nanz

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 06:41:44 AM »
hi ...just got over with a deep sandblasting piece with a hight of 6 feet .....i am having trouble lighting it ...have used focus lights which glair the image (as i have focused the lights onto the glass from the back)and on the top part the work does not seem to be visable as the light is not reaching up to the hight. The size of the glass is 6 feet by 4 feet.should i use white light or yellow? how many fittings would cover the size?should i use focus or long tube lights ?what should the angle of a focus light be on the glass from the back? :mus:need to know .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand