No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Paul Kedelv  (Read 8667 times)

Offline Martyn K

• Members
Re: Paul Kedelv
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2007, 11:19:42 AM »
Hi,

The Caps thing was what I had'nt seen before, the 'FLYGSFORS' on the Modernist glass piece is in caps not script...I'm not questioning the sellers or piece in any way... it was just the way the writing seems to get better as it goes on, the 'KEDELV' looks a bit of a mess as does the 'FLY' then it gets more confident towards the end.

It's just not what I would have expected and so would have thought twice about....maybe the engraver had hit thier thumb with a hammer the day before..   :-\ :)

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2007, 11:40:13 AM »

It would definitely help matters if a picture of the item were available. I suppose when it comes to engraved signatures, it depends who was signing the pieces at the time.  :-\
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline alexander

• Members
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2007, 12:41:03 PM »
Is it this one by any chance?

Tradera Kedelv
Alexander
Norwegian glass collector

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2007, 12:53:36 PM »

Ooh nice, Alexander  ;D
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline carolglass

• Members
    • Napier New Zealand
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2007, 09:51:57 PM »
Hi people, the object of my desire is on auction at the moment and I would like to have a little  more independant information before I bid so I will not be posting a link. I have two pieces of flygsfors with lower case,label etc etc, it was the fact of capitals that threw me. Would like some confirmation if at all possible, that capitals were used. Otherwise I will go with my instinct and flag it. Thanks for the interesting comments. regards Carol
Carolglass

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2007, 10:03:27 PM »

Well, the piece that Alexander linked too is also all in capital letters and it is definitely a Flygsfors piece. Look on ebay at finished auctions and/or current auctions, the Flygsfors style is unmistakable. Good luck!!! Please let us know if you win the piece.  ;D

Offline carolglass

• Members
    • Napier New Zealand
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2007, 02:01:30 AM »
 :) Many thanks to alexander for the link, I had not enough time to view it this morning-in capitals no less-I am still a tad wary though. regards Carol
Carolglass

Offline alexander

• Members
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2007, 12:44:52 PM »
When I first saw the Kedelv vase on Tradera I had no trouble accepting that it was a Flygsfors piece
and designed by PK, but I was somewhat sceptical of the signature.

This could be because the PK pieces usually show up signed neatly Flygfors -YY and Coquille
with normal case lettering. Since there are several examples of the all capital letter signatures
I'm less sceptical now but not 100% conviced either.

The Tradera piece does have a sticker and it's most likely a Flygsfors PK design.

Does anyone know what F's policy on signing seconds was? No sig or some kind of second designation?

The Coquille series designs were based on sea-life, hence the name Coquille, which I
belive is french for "cockle", a form of mollusk.
Alexander

Offline Bill G

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • World Art Glass
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2007, 06:53:35 PM »
Greetings.

The problem with the various signatures goes to the Swedish glass houses tradition of having an indivdual worker sign each piece. It will be a cold day in hell when the artist/designers signed their work. Happened in the late 1980's at Orrefors on their limited edition series. Ended quite quickly when the artist/designers protested in mass.

I would be suprised if Paul K signed his work.

Bill Geary

Offline alexander

• Members
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2007, 08:29:35 PM »
I didn't know that - good to know.

Btw - as for pieces done at Hadeland, the artist would usually sign his/her own work, while the same designs
blown by anyone else would be signed with the artists "artglass number" and Hadeland.
Some pieces are signed by designer, glassblower and or engraver together, usually only espcially fine pieces.

Pieces designed, but not made by Benny Motzfeldt at Randsfjord will not be signed, if made by her they will be signed B.M YYYY or B.M. YY ( very rarely full name ). At Plus her designs were etch marked Plus BM, if made by her signed B.M etc.
Alexander

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand