No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Warning re eBay Walsh? epergne that may not be what it seems  (Read 1528 times)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
See A FINE ENGLISH ART GLASS EPERGNE late 19th century

Hmmmm — interesting.   I think it is worth pointing out the unused locking flange on the central flute metalwork that should lock the tabs on the metal sockets on the side flutes into a standard large screw-up epergne block and fitting.    Whatever, this is not the epergne as originally supplied.   As for when it was reassembled — I don't know.   It could be recent or have been done many years ago.   Sadly, someone is likely to end up with a mix-and-match creation that is worth a fraction of what he or she paid for it.   It is not surprising that it is being sold through a conventional auction house to avoid seller liability.

So, what was it originally?

I could be wrong, but I think it was a Walsh Water Lily epergne, reg no. 409769 of May 9, 1903 (see Reynolds; Gulliver; and Sotheby's Royal Brierley Collection of March 3, 1998, misattributed here for which Simon Cottle later apologised), in Walsh's 1920s Primrose.   The block could have been either 1+3 like Walsh's early ornamental registered design for use with a mirror plateau (see Gulliver) or 1+6.   The 1+3 version would have had a third side flute, possibly with a large lightly waved dark green waterlily leaf resting centrally on the plateau.   The 1+6 version could have had a variety of configurations involving leaves and flower buds.

I am known for generally not commenting on live auctions.   However, in this case, the item is being presented to potential buyers by an experienced auction house that should have noticed and noted the item's peculiarities.   It doesn't even appear to be properly assembled in the one photograph supplied!

Caveat emptor is fine, but this is pushing it!

As the details above as at the time of posting here.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Warning re eBay Walsh? epergne that may not be what it seems
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 01:22:40 PM »
Did you alert the seller too?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Bernard C

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 02:30:31 PM »
Quote from: Frank
Did you alert the seller too?

Yes, Frank, along with two other groups, but thanks for checking.   Was I right to post this topic?

Bernard C.  8)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 06:13:47 PM »
Absolutely right!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Bernard C

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 02:57:36 AM »
Only a few hours to go, and no noticeable response from the seller, not even a "Who the heck are you?" reply to my email.  No revision of the eBay listing, or of their catalogue, just a deafening silence.

I have to admit that I was perhaps wrong to cite Reynolds, Gulliver, and an old Sotheby's auction catalogue, as the chance of their owning and knowing their way around these publications is pretty remote.

Frustrating, isn't it.   :hb2:

Bernard C.  8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand