No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: What is it?  (Read 2226 times)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Re: What is it?
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2007, 03:18:12 PM »
Quote from: Frank
I had not realised it was in use so recently!

More recently than you might think, Frank, as Dicky was not that old — he had attempted to join up at the start of WWII, but was rejected because of his disabilities — not the Great War.   So this puts him a generation nearer today than you may have worked out.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2007, 07:14:25 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suetterlin
it took me a few days to search for Suetterlin instead of Sütterlin - sorry - but guess you like this  ;)
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2008, 08:13:54 AM »
Has anyone come across any other references to glass sponge holders?   The silence over the last year has been deafening!

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2008, 08:36:22 AM »
Has anyone come across any other references to glass sponge holders?   The silence over the last year has been deafening!

Bernard C.  8)

I remember seeing one of these in use too Bernard!  My late father's business was in direct mail/marketing (NOT junk mail before anyone says it - they didn't get involved in consumer mailings just services to other businesses handling and fulfilling their targeted B2B mailing campaigns, member mailings etc).  Anyway, I remember way back to the 1970s when the company was first established and there were a team of ladies all working on various elements of the mailing (all done manually at the time) - one of the ladies at the end of the 'line' had a glass sponge holder which she was using to dampen the envelope flaps - all the other ladies had the more basic plastic and rubber roller types - she had one too but wouldn't use it.  It was larger than the one shown at the top of this thread though but otherwise similar - it was elegant but totally impractical in this instance!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2008, 11:43:29 AM »
At the risk of 'going off at a tangent' again, (which I am wont to do!) after seeing this thread, I decided to look up 'glass sponge' on eBay!
This is what I found:-  http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VENUS-GLASS-SPONGE-FLOWER-BASKET-Weird-Wedding-gift_W0QQitemZ280258451384QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item280258451384

It would appear that it isn't just humans that are clever at making glass!

Who says the GMB isn't amazingly educational!!

Well, I did say it was off at a tangent. :-[
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand