No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano Artisans of Brazil?  (Read 1842 times)

Offline selina

• Members
Murano Artisans of Brazil?
« on: July 24, 2007, 12:54:20 PM »
Hi,

Came across this website by accident..as we do.
http://unique-gifts.novica.com/vases/cz2nnsz85nnstznamennrz84nn/

Once you scroll down past the pottery vases, you come to the glass. I found it very confusing as glass is listed as Seguso Family Murano Artisans of Brazil. :huh:

I recognised a few items Ive seen on ebay recently. Any opinions on this? Are they totally new items being passed of as Murano?

Trudy
Trudy

Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.

Offline selina

• Members
Re: Murano Artisans of Brazil?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 12:59:12 PM »
Ok maybe I should have read a bit further.

When you click on an item, it tells the story of the Seguso family and how they came to be in Brazil...MY BAD. :-[

Ok well you can buy some reasonably priced New Murano by Seguso there...

Trudy
Trudy

Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 09:21:10 AM »
Murano is a place in Italy and it does have a recognisable style in glass. As the glassmakers are no longer put to death if they try to leave the country, they are entitled to go where they can. Using their family name is fine but it would be more honest to add the word style if they use the word Murano to describe their glass.

My pet hate is Russian Murano Animals! I will not touch them on principle, the sellers never give the names of the artists but boast that they are highly skilled artists...

But of course people will buy them and in a label conscious world, probably that Murano word has an impact on their buying.

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 11:58:06 AM »
Do you think that should also apply to the likes of Royal Doulton who are now manufacturing in Thailand?

Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 12:26:52 PM »
A friend of mine who's a Carlton Ware collector says that the Thai-produced Doulton all have horrible fat banana fingers. But I guess Doulton are perfectly within their rights to go offshore and if they have cut corners and are accepting lesser quality work, then it's their problem as it reflects badly on the company.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 12:53:48 PM »
Do you think that should also apply to the likes of Royal Doulton who are now manufacturing in Thailand?

No Royal Doulton are a company not a place, they can have their stuff made where they want to. It also helps to spread wealth more evenly around the planet. Bot of course global corporations are the replacement of the empire builders now that there is free land left. (Free land= land owned by people with smaller, or no, guns)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand