No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Whitefriars Meadow Green 9610 Knobbly Vase  (Read 6372 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Whitefriars Meadow Green 9610 Knobbly Vase
« on: July 18, 2007, 08:18:09 PM »
Does anyone know when they were produced in this colour? As far as I've gleaned from online sources, Meadow Green was introduced to the 'Knobbly' range in 1970 - but this year isn't covered by online catalogues, nor is 1971. By the 1972 catalogue, this pattern has been discontinued. Is it unusual to find this pattern in Meadow Green?

Also, is it unusual for this pattern to have a flattened rim? All the ones I have found have free-form rims.

View 1
View 2

Thanks in advance.

Offline Quackers

• Members
    • www.plantpref.co.uk
Re: Whitefriars Meadow Green 9610 Knobbly Vase
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 08:27:18 PM »
Hi, 9610 is in the 1970 and 1971 price lists in Meadow Green;

http://www.whitefriarsorg.org/memb1/pricelists/page0003.html
http://www.whitefriarsorg.org/memb1/pricelists/page0004.html

Can't help on the rim but have you looked through the Knobblies website?  I'll hunt the link out for you...
Tim

I started with Carnival glass, then other C20 irridescent, then Whitefriars ducks, then Dartington FT Daisies etc, then Whitefriars Tricorns...when will it end?

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 08:29:35 PM »
Does anyone know when they were produced in this colour? As far as I've gleaned from online sources, Meadow Green was introduced to the 'Knobbly' range in 1970 - but this year isn't covered by online catalogues, nor is 1971. By the 1972 catalogue, this pattern has been discontinued. Is it unusual to find this pattern in Meadow Green?

Nic, I've had a Meadow Green tall 'lampbase' knobbly vase which my notes tell me dates from 1970-72 - however I'm sure one of the Whitefriars experts will be along to confirm the dates for your particular vase.  Is it unusual to find this pattern in Meadow Green?  Well, again my notes say yes, and proof of this would be that the tall MG Knobbly I mentioned sold for a fairly hefty price tag within just 5 days of listing!

Offline Quackers

• Members
    • www.plantpref.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 08:30:19 PM »
Here you go;

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/colljt/myhomepage/artgallery.html

Your vase is on the left, second row down the page.
Tim

I started with Carnival glass, then other C20 irridescent, then Whitefriars ducks, then Dartington FT Daisies etc, then Whitefriars Tricorns...when will it end?

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 08:31:36 PM »
Hi Tim & Pip.

Thanks for the dates!

I had a look through the Knobblies website before I posted (it's where I found when MG was introduced), but couldn't find any reference to a flattened rim for this pattern.

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 09:12:03 AM »
I have loads of knobblies, including the same Meadow Green one as yours Nic.  I don't think your flattened rim is an issue.  Most of the straight sided ones (i use that term loosely) such as the 9610 seem to have flatter rather than rounded polished rims. Of course they are not symmetrical by very nature of the design, but if you mean that yours is fire polished but has a flattish appearance then that seems to be the norm. If however, you are saying that it is flattish and ground (like the top of a Hambone vase for example) then that might indicate it has been tampered with - but it doesn't look like that has happened from your photo. Emmi

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 12:45:59 PM »
Hello Emmi.

I have one of these in Ruby, and the rim is rounded, blobby, and all over the place, as seems to be the norm with the photographs of other ones I've seen. But the rim of the MG one is distinctly flat and angular on top (but still fire-polished) like it was pushed against a marver when being formed.

Edit:

If the flattening is intentional, might it have been designed as a lamp base? I see no evidence that it ever had any fitting on it, so it's just idle speculation....

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 03:06:41 PM »
Well, most of mine have a similar rim to yours.(and I have most of the colours and shapes )  I doubt if it was made as a lamp base, it would have had to be a very large fitting.  I really do think the finish to your rims and most of mine is fairly standard, so haven't much else to add.  Emmi

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 03:23:22 PM »
Okay, well it never hurts to ask. I only have the two vases and with the rims being so different I just wondered. :)

Thanks Emmi.

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 03:27:37 PM »
Maybe your ruby one is the odd man out!!! Could I see a photo of that rim when you have a moment. I do like to see blobby and all over the place once in a while! ;D Emmi

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand