No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Aventurine - screenprint flat glass  (Read 2917 times)

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Aventurine - screenprint flat glass
« on: July 19, 2007, 10:47:59 AM »
I'm doing a course on putting digital images onto flat glass, using screen-printing and slump glass techniques.  We're also covering slumping glass into textured plaster and quartz batts.

I wondered if it's possible to buy aventurine powder anywhere, and is it possible to use it at slump glass temperatures (sorry, can't tell you what they are, as I don't own a kiln personally  :cry:)

Also, is there a silver alternative to gold that you can buy?  I can't find anything suitable.  My friend and I are something really glittery that can be either fused or slumped into flat glass.

Thank you.  :)

Here's one of the images I screen-printed onto flat glass.  It has to be fired yet.
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-7937  - Three screen-prints overlaid from my image.

Edit:  I've considered using crumbled gold or silver leaf, but I'm not sure this'll have the glittery effect we're after...  :huh:
I am not a man

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Aventurine - screenprint flat glass
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 11:17:23 AM »
Aventurine is not a powder, it is a glass. You can probably buy it in frit form, or by a rod and use a hammer.

Silver or gold leaf can also be used but only fracture when you expand it , with slumping this is not very likely. I am sure you could experiment with copper, or other metal filings, but make sure it has a higher melting temperature than the glass and wear goggles and breathing mask in case of poisonous fumes and flying bits of metal. If you can soften the surface of the glass then you should be able to embed the metal. Bits of copper, or iron etc., have the added advantage, if they stay exposed to atmosphere of oxidising for interesting after-effects. You can get chemicals to create near instant oxidation - verdi-gris (spelt right?) on copper (Pale green).

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 11:46:18 AM »
I was hoping aventurine might be available in a fine form, like a powder, as frit that is too large doesn't 'melt' at slumping temperatures (apparently). 

Next week, I think we're adding bits and bobs of metal to some work, so I'll try and get some copper wire and embed it and leave pieces open to the air as you suggest.  I think we'll be slumping onto plaster batts, so maybe the metal pieces can go underneath the glass...I'll try and leave some near the edges to see what effects I get.   :)

It's all about learning, isn't it?  Making mistakes and discovering how things work.
I am not a man

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 12:21:48 PM »
Fine frit  ;D

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 12:32:05 PM »
Try these http://heritageglass.com/mcart/index.cgi?code=3&cat=7 they sell in small quantities for beadmaking.

You can grind frit down but it will not change the melting point.

Also http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,4443.0.html

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 01:23:45 PM »
Thanks for the glow glass thread Frank, I'd missed that.  I'm wondering about applications for it now...the mind boggles!    :D

I'd seen that Heritage Glass website earlier, but gave up on it as it was American.  I thought I'd find a company in England that offered similar items but didn't, then forgot to go back to Heritage. Duh!  Those 'stringers' aren't quite what I was after - I guess you chop them up?  :huh:   Something to think about anyway.

...what did you think of my flat glass screenprint?  I did a black and white one, and you'd swear it was paper stuck on glass...very, very weird!   :o

I am not a man

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 11:10:40 PM »
Delightful, but this thread is in the wrong forum. Should be slumped and printed  >:D Tssk

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 11:15:58 PM »
I'll start a new thread when I've got my bits of glass back from firing.  I'm assuming no-one saw my images on glass here, or I would surely have been inundated with acclaim and sausage rolls.   :)

I am not a man

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 12:25:09 AM »
I saw them Max! I was trying to figure out what you were doing, but you lost me after plaster and quartz batts.*  Am looking forward to seeing the fired results though... it sounds like fun!

*I was trying to relate this to batteries then realised batts is something totally different!!!  :-[
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 08:49:51 AM »
 ;D Anne.  'Batts' is a new term for me too.  I should be getting all my stuff back in the next few weeks, so I'll post it when I do.  Then I've got a couple of projects I'd like to do in my house.  What about a large, glass panelled door with a photograph fired  or screen-printed onto it?!  Or I might try sand-blasting through a stencil.  Fun or what?!   :D

...and a damned site easier than blowing glass.  Plus your trousers don't catch fire.  ;)

I am not a man

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand