No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pressed Glass Fish Footed Bowl  (Read 8593 times)

Offline Tony H

• Members
    • http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/index.php?cat=10002
Re: Pressed Glass Fish Footed Bowl
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2012, 07:17:02 AM »
Anne,
Last time I was in Paeroa (probably October) there was a most beautiful bright blue one of these bowls for sale at one of the junk shops.
Unfortunately I had spent all my pocket money!
Cheers
Meegs

Hi Meegs and Anne
I was in Paeroa with my wife today Friday 20/01/2012 The blue bowl is still there a real beauty but at $120 I left it there (it is about 20cm in diameter)

Tony H

Offline Tony H

• Members
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2012, 07:21:18 AM »
Yes it's on eBay Tony. £30+postage

Thanks Anne. There is a used copy for auction with 4 days to go, so I have put it on my watch list for now

Offline meegs

• Members
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2012, 08:09:32 AM »
Hi Meegs and Anne
I was in Paeroa with my wife today Friday 20/01/2012 The blue bowl is still there a real beauty but at $120 I left it there (it is about 20cm in diameter)

Tony H

Tony, I can't remember the name of that shop, but it is a collective of various dealers with a manager so it does make trying to negotiate the price difficult. The bowl is a beauty, and it is a shame that the price is off putting as the longer it sits there the more likely it is to get damaged; as was a fair amount of the glass stock in there when I was last in the shop.  Did you go into Akwrights(?) further down the road on the corner? There are several examples of Bagley's Andromeda at NZD450 a pop.
Hope you enjoyed your day.
Cheers
meegs

Offline Tony H

• Members
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2012, 05:33:31 PM »
Hi Meegs
The shop is called The Depot. yes we have been going to Akwrights and all the other shops for many years, have had some good buys, lots I would like both for my collection or resale I am also a Licensed Dealer, but the prices.!!

One thing that makes me mad is a nice piece with no description or something ridiculous like "Depression" glass  and a crazy price.

Offline scavo

• Members
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2012, 11:34:19 PM »
It's lovely and I'm positively green. But surely those dolphins are inspired by japanese images koi carp? It's quite a common art deco motif.

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2012, 08:59:08 AM »
I agree!  I started this thread with the title "Pressed Glass Fish Footed Bowl", and then described the fish as 'dolphin-esque', because I had always previously seen similar footed bowls described as 'Diving Dolphins' bowls.  But these feet are definitely very fishy!  ;D 
Leni

Offline meegs

• Members
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2012, 08:34:18 PM »
Here is this lovely bowl in blue. I was rather delighted to find this  undamaged example this week having resisted the urge to buy the above mentioned one
(... and yes I dyed the roses to match)

Cheers
Meegs

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2012, 09:01:48 PM »
Well done, Meegs - it's such a splendid design and a most convincing proof for the beauty of pressed glass!  :-*
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand