No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Signed Kralik jug?  (Read 1785 times)

Offline uphoosier

• Members
Signed Kralik jug?
« on: July 19, 2007, 09:08:15 PM »
I can't find any indication that Kralik ever signed a piece in this manner.  Assuming a previous owner etched the name on to remind him of what it was, was he correct?  It is 10" tall.  The finish is iridescent.  The white design is trailed - it is on, not in the red.  All opinions are appreciated.  Thanks for looking. 
Ken
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-7954
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-7953
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-7952

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
Re: Signed Kralik jug?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 09:25:43 PM »
Hi Ken,

Take a look here, where there is an example of a Kralik signature:Mod: Link removed as content changed to inappropriate site
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Sklounion

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 10:08:01 PM »
Hi,
Be careful, neither Ken's item mark, or the signature in Della's link look consistent with the period.. The link one looks like a dremel job. If it were copper-wheel engraved, I would expect it to show better definition. (Sorry Brian, when you say contemporary, do you mean our era?)
Kralik were known to use an acid-etched mark of Tcheco-slovaquie, in an oval, for serious pieces, and I would be expecting to see that mark and or a diamond pen signature. Signing using a diamond pen would surely bring a better defined mark. Production items, such as Della's recent iridised water service probably would have only carried a paper label.

I have my doubts, but what would I know?

Respectfully,
Marcus

Offline uphoosier

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 12:15:10 AM »
I was pretty certain the mark was not  real Kralik.  So, forgetting the mark, what might the vase be?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 07:54:51 AM »
I would suspect Makora, Poland.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum