No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is This Nazeing?  (Read 10489 times)

Offline BJB

• Members
Is This Nazeing?
« on: June 04, 2005, 03:37:08 PM »
I have just been on my usual Saturday trawl round a local carboot sale, and found this.

http://tinypic.com/5n6dqr

After pouring over my Geoff Timberlake book (thanks Nigel) I wonder if it might be one of the lanterns listed near the back. It just has a loop on the top, so it didn't have chains.

I did think it might be 1930's LONG PENDANT H2 design, but having read the blurb on page 101 regarding the "square wire" I don't know which of the hanging 1950's ones it might be. It is 12" long.

Just one last quick question, does anyone know what it might go for on Ebay, as I have had a quick look but can't find anything like it.

Thanks
Barbara

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Is This Nazeing?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2005, 05:32:16 PM »
The ones in the book look to be constructed with a more expensive technique (metal-work) than yours. Use of non-ferrous metals is not uncommon for post-war lamps intended for outdoor use and square profile is a lot easier to handle. There were a lot of makers producing this type of lamp in the UK and probably elsewhere too.

Value is fairly arbitrary, you could stick 250 on in Bond St 25 in Camden Lock.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Is This Nazeing?
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2005, 05:40:28 PM »
Hello Barbara   :D

I know that Whitefriars made some lanterns (well, they didn't make the metalwork, another company did,  but they blew the glass into them), but I don't think yours is Whitefriars.

Have you considered your lantern could be contemporary?  I'm sure I've seen similar in good department stores...I could be wrong - I hope so!  It's always lovely to find a goodie.  Either way, it's a great looking piece - so you've done well.    :D  :D
I am not a man

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Is This Nazeing?
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2005, 08:43:51 PM »
:D It's the sort of shade I think looks lovely in the lobby (porch or vestibule), at the front door. You've done well today with lighting! :P
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline BJB

• Members
Is This Nazeing?
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2005, 09:38:44 PM »
Hi Sue,

Since the 1960's lampshades I seem to be more drawn to lighting, so I seem to see and buy more  :D

As long as its glass though I don't mind.

Will have to get a very biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigggggggggg lamp for the other shade  :wink:

Barbara

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Is This Nazeing?
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2005, 08:42:53 AM »
Barbara, I was just trawling the net; searching for things to buy - as you do  :roll:  :D  when I came across this:

http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=994&item=7327797979&rd=1

It's not exactly the same, but it's quite similar to yours isn't it?  :D
I am not a man

Offline BJB

• Members
Is This Nazeing?
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2005, 11:50:15 AM »
Hi Max,

Yes very similar, but my wire is very square and that looks round. Mine also cost a lot less :D

Will list it later in the year when the nights start to draw in again :wink: Not worth it while they are nice and light.

Barbara

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Is This Nazeing?
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2005, 07:21:22 PM »
Mine is the same size as the Italian one but in amber and the metal work is finished in a blck plastic coating.
The pattern is similar to both but not exactly the same as either.
I suspect they were all made in Italy and that the Veneziana refers to a "style" rather than infering Murano manufacture.
Lucerna (lovely word) just means lamp I think but "Sofiato" I believe refers to the technique of blowing glass into a wire "cage".
Corrections welcome.
Pete

Offline BJB

• Members
Is This Nazeing?
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2005, 08:09:08 PM »
The coating on the wire on mine is black paint, which is begining to peel a bit in places and is going very slightly rusty, so I think it may be a bit older than the Italian one.

The paint goes all the way round so it hasn't been added later.  :?

Curiosier and curiosier :D

Barbara

Offline roget123

• Author
  • Members
Is This Nazeing?
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2005, 07:43:43 PM »
Hello Barbara,

When I was researching my book those kind people at Nazeing gave me as much information about their lanterns as they knew. However, when I found a lantern which although not the same shape as yours, but otherwise had very similar colour, framework and peeling black paint, those kind peoople stated without any hesitation " that's not one of ours".  I strongly suspect the same applies to yours.

Paradise Traders said "I suspect they were all made in Italy and that the Veneziana refers to a "style" rather than infering Murano manufacture".  

That may be true of many other lanterns, but please do not think that any true Nazeing lantern was made anywhere other than Broxbourne, Herts.

regards, Geoff Timberlake
Geoff Timberlake
Glass Anorak !!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand