No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is This Nazeing?  (Read 10485 times)

Offline BJB

• Members
Is This Nazeing?
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2005, 08:05:18 PM »
Hi Geoff,

Many thanks, I had a look at the pictures in your book, but with them being catalogue pictures rather than photo's it is not quite so easy to see the finer details. And there is so much debate about what is and what isn't Nazeing (as I know to my cost!) it is rather a touchy subject, and I usually steer well clear of this glass, but I did like this one :D

Do you think it might date from the same time in the 1950's, rather than later (re the paint rather than the plastic coated wire)

Have got to get some new screws for the sides as the bright silver ones slightly spoil the effect :wink:

Barbara

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Is This Nazeing?
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2006, 05:00:46 PM »
Barbara, I note your photo has disappeared (as they tend to do on TinyPic), but here's an advert on Anne's Advert Gallery of an original Nazeing advert, c.1950, showing 'cage-blown' lightshades.

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-2950

As with all the adverts I'm posting, I have them in original size if anyone requires them. These are photos though, and not scans.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
Is This Nazeing?
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2006, 12:33:32 AM »
Hi all,

Interesting thread about an area of Nazeing that I find a tad difficult , so particularly sad that it's without the original photo :( (the ebay one seems to have gone as well :shock:  :( )

As with many of these things I suppose once you have a known piece that you can study it trains you to notice other correct pieces - not fulproof I know, but I find it works reasonably for me. It's finding that first one in this case :shock:  :(  :shock:

Very interesting advert David, thanks. I note the date of 1950, but are you able to narrow that down at all please? Also, is it possible to say from what publication it comes from?

Nigel

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Is This Nazeing?
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2006, 07:57:30 AM »
Nigel, the advert dates to April 1948 and it featured in Pottery Gazette adn Glass Trade Review.

At this time Nazeing were quite prolific advertisers and I have a few more of these spot coloured ones listing other items.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
Is This Nazeing?
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2006, 01:57:04 PM »
Thanks for that David. I do have a number of original Nazeing coloured adverts from this period, but have not managed to find the one with the latterns, so its very good to know the complete reference :D .

There was another company producing these latterns, as well as bracket lamps and table lamps of the same form and during the same time period as Nazeing. They were Thornton-Owen Ltd, who were based in Birmingham and who worked in conjunction with John Walsh Walsh Ltd in the production of these items. Unfortunately, it is difficult to tell the section of the steel used, although one is large square section the others illustrated could well be round 'wire' section.

Nigel

Offline BJB

• Members
Is This Nazeing?
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2006, 11:24:29 AM »
Hi,

Just to add, since I bought that lamp I noticed a fair few about and was told that they were Eastern European and had been "sea dipped" to give the paint that peeling look. I don't know it was the case or not.

But have not seen any about this year so the popularity must have gone, its large paperweights this year! Mainly the Chinese ones, which are being sold as anything from "Rare Vintage Antique... to Unsigned Caithness" and all decriptions in between.

Barbara

Offline johnfandmaryp

• Members
Re: Is This Nazeing?
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2007, 11:42:58 PM »
Hi all,

Hope you don't mind me reviving this topic but I acquired a pair of Nazeing "Priory" lanterns today (picture below) which I will be listing on eBay shortly and so was browsing for a bit more info and came across this topic.

I'd love to know how common these are and, as the links in the discussion are no longer working, would really appreciate a rough idea of the value of the lanterns.

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-5980

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2007, 12:05:11 PM »
Hello,

I said earlier in the thread that this is an area that I find difficult, and I believe others do also.

For that reason alone it is likely that we are not aware of how rare, or common, these lanterns by Nazeing are. I am not aware of anyone showing interest in, or collecting, these.

I have looked at your example and compared it with the one illustrated in Geoff's book on page 102, and, whilst I realise there would be latitude in the making of these items, I'm not entirely convinced they are the same thing.

The hanging apparatus shown in the illustration is far more complex with wire 'chains' leading up to a frame before it is then connected to a hook. If we allow that other examples could have been produced, then it is possible that the hanging method could have been simplified.

Then, looking at the frame that the glass 'bursts' through, the central bubbles go through a circle on the one in your photo, whereas in the illustration the central area is bounded by two wavy bands of metal that have a vertically elongated gap between them, so that the shape the glass goes through is not circular. Above and below these wavy lines the illustration shows the curls of metal connected directly to the wavy lines of metal. The one in your photo shows them clearly seperate.

If it were mine I would, sadly, not be able to attribute it to being "Priory" by Nazeing.

Although it is possible that there could be variations by one manufacturer, it is likely that the main frame would stay consistant, if only because everything would be gigged up to make them. Simplifying the hanging mechanism might well be introduced as a way of reducing the selling price.

As to it's current value, I think that will be determined by the market. Presumably when you bought it you felt the price reasonable, so surely any profit above that would be OK? (allowing for p&p and selling costs of course!). Sometimes buying and selling something can even mean a financial loss, but the profit is always that you've gained knowledge - both of the market and of the item in question.

Lastly, I feel that the problem with these lanterns is that there are many versions made over a protracted period of time, by a number of manufacturers, with only a few alluded to earlier in this topic.

Perhaps Stephen, or Geoff could through more light on the subject?

Nigel

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2007, 12:18:55 PM »

Offline johnfandmaryp

• Members
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2007, 12:48:46 PM »
Nigel ~ thank you so much for the full and very informative answer which is very much appreciated. To give you the full picture, we actually got them in a cheap lot at auction which we bought for 4 modern table lamps which we wanted for ourselves, so if there is any value in them, it's a bonus!

Have now had another very good look at the picture of Priory 75/7 which was sent to me in response to my original request for information on the GF board, and can see what you mean about the shape of the rings on the frame. My lanterns do have hanging kit with them in the form of 3 straight bars going up to a ring and a triangular hanging piece which fits to a hook on a square ceiling plate with curled corners (I'll post a picture of this later, when I've done it), but the triangular bit isn't as fancy as shown in the catalogue picture either ~ it doesn't have the scrolls. All the metal work is square sectioned.

Looks like I'll be listing them as 'Nazeing style' and see how (if!) they go!

Frank ~ the glass is actually a sort of peachy colour, rather than being affected by sunlight.

Very many thanks again for your help and interest, John.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand