No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is This Nazeing?  (Read 10456 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Is This Nazeing?
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2007, 02:41:47 PM »
David posted a copy of a Nazeing lantern advert in GlassGallery recently - does this help at all?
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-2950
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline johnfandmaryp

• Members
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2007, 02:55:48 PM »
Hi Anne, and many thanks.
I looked at that link while doing my research before, but am not sure if it helps much as it's c1950 and I believe that the Priory pattern no. 75/7 (which I thought mine were) is from the 1930's. Comparing those in your link with the ones in the 1930's catalogue which I have been sent a copy of, there are some differences, especially in the shape of the cage.
Mine are actually slightly different from both, but a lot closer to the 1930's catalogue!  ???
Thanks again for your help, John :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2007, 04:42:13 PM »
I can lay my hands on half a dozen catalogues with this style of lantern, they were very widely produced in many countries. Some would have been creative but equally some could have just copied pictures from other makers.

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2007, 06:44:22 PM »
Hi John,

If the page you have is a copy of is out of Geoff's book, then both the page illustrations he shows are from the 1950's catalogue. [Edit: I've just noticed you quote 75/7 as the code - this is the 1950's code for "Priory".]

He says, in the section under 1950's catalogue - Lanterns, page 101, second sentence, "In many cases the names were the same as the pre-war originals, but the shapes were changed."

On page 31 of the text he also discusses the metal used and the method of construction. The frames were made by a local firm, George Hettdem and Sons. Originally, the wire was round section and later square. In the 1950's the frame was made using spot welding techniques and an expensive non-rusting nickel wire, which when finished gave an antique appearance. (I have paraphrased Geoff's section)

By looking at the photo's of the 1930's versions, shown on pages 98 -100, it is fairly clear that the wire was connected traditionally using metal (wire) clips. The pre-war "H7 -Priory" design is nothing like yours, but the lantern - H3 - called "Abbey" is similar as it uses the circles, but all the other metalware is clipped directly to those circles.

I hope this helps, Nigel

Offline johnfandmaryp

• Members
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2007, 07:39:06 PM »
Thank you Nigel ~ it helps a lot!
Will have another good look at everything before making a final decision about what to do with them.
Very many thanks again for your time and trouble, John.

Offline lddlsa

• Members
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2010, 10:04:35 PM »
I have resurrected this thread again as I have today bought a Nazeing Priory lantern.  Generally I am not confident when it comes to Nazeing but on this occasion I will stick my neck out!  Regretting my moment of confidence already!!  It exactly matches the design shown for H7 in Fig 74 in Geoff's book, the frame is square section, rusty and held together with metal clips.  I haven't contributed to the Board for a long time and am unsure about adding photographs but will give it a go if anyone is interested.

I now have one small problem, it is quite a large thing and I can't exactly display it on my Nazeing and possibly Nazeing shelves.  I could hang it in the porch and actually use it as intended but should appreciate some advice.  There is only one small hole in the top of the lid through which a cable should just about go through.  There are no holes for any heat to escape from when the bulb is on but would this be a problem?

Your comments would be very much appreciated.

Lynne

Offline lddlsa

• Members
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2010, 09:22:55 PM »
Hi
I was wondering if Nigel (or any other Nazeing collector) might be able to give me the benefit of their opinion on the lantern.  I may well be going to the Glass Fair at Chilford hall on Sunday but would rather not lug the beast of a thing there to show Nigel who will no doubt be very busy.  I couldn't decide what to do with it and so for the time being it is hanging under a tree in my garden!

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2010, 10:59:06 AM »
At the time it was quite common to use only 2 core no earth, so holes were kept small. Heat of the bulb is no problem. You could clamp an earth to the external frame but might then have waterproofing problems so make sure to seal the cable entry well.

Offline lddlsa

• Members
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2010, 12:51:18 PM »
Thanks for that Frank, I think I will put it in our porch which is open on one side only so it would only be affected by the humidity levels rather than direct attack by rain.  Still hoping that someone will confirm it as definitely Nazeing though! :X:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand