No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Whitefriars Ruby/Clear Cased Lampbase  (Read 1871 times)

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Whitefriars Ruby/Clear Cased Lampbase
« on: July 24, 2007, 01:19:12 PM »
Hi all - bought this the other day.  It's a hefty (at over 2kg) ruby and clear cased Whitefriars lampbase (I'm pretty certain it's a Geoffrey Baxter 1960s design for Whitefriars).  It's got old style wiring on it (I shall have this rewired to modern standards obviously) and had on top a really old looking 1950s/60s blousey old rose lampshade which I promptly binned.  What I want to know is was this designed to be a lampbase or did someone alter a vase to become a lampbase (if they did they would have done it very soon after purchase judging from the age of the wiring and the shade)?  Does anyone know what pattern number this might be or what catalogue I can find it in - I've checked the WF catalogues that show my very similar ruby & clear vases but this doesn't appear to be in them.

(apologies for the cluttered background - took the picture quickly in the kitchen)

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-8034

Offline Patrick

• Members
Re: Whitefriars Ruby/Clear Cased Lampbase
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 01:56:18 PM »
Hi, Yes this is a production WF lampbase........   Not a DIY job. I am not certain of the pattern number but I have one in kingfisher and have seen them in Cinnamon and other colours. See http://www.whitefriars.com/isit_contents.php?ID=4578 for a similar metal fitment for the shade/lampholder.
 regards Patrick.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 02:05:58 PM »
My Mum has one identical in green.  
I am not a man

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop