No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Turquoise uranium footed bowl. Stuart?  (Read 3265 times)

Offline Chris Harrison

• Members
Turquoise uranium footed bowl. Stuart?
« on: July 20, 2007, 06:44:04 PM »
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-7971

15 cm tall, 20 cm diameter.

It has a circular ground and polished punty mark, and shows wear around the edge of the foot.  It isn't signed as far as I can tell, though the etched Stuart mark could have worn off.

This seems quite reminiscent of the Stratford series bowl shapes.  It has the same stepped rings at the bottom of the bowl where it meets the stem.

The fluorescence isn't stunning, but it's quite evident.  And the turquoise really glows in the setting sun.

Can anyone please confirm or deny that it's a Stuart?
Thanks,
Chris

Offline Hotglass

• Members
Re: Turquoise uranium footed bowl. Stuart?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 10:16:04 AM »
It's only uranium if it glows a sickly vivid green. A lot of glass glows in various colors according to it's chemical make-up. Most have no significance for the collector. Some ebay sellers tried to make the selenium orange glow a sales feature but that has died now I think.
It's a nice bowl tho. It seems to want to be Victorian in style but doesn't quite make it. Also I always think of the 50's with this color. I know nothing about Stuart so can't comment on that. Ed.

Offline Sue C

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 10:47:59 AM »
Hi Chris, i have had a few pieces of Stuart, and the mark can sometimes be right on the edge or even only half applied, so it may have been missed completely? anyway there are some here for comparison, although i have to say the stem on your's does'nt look quite right.
www.stylendesign.co.uk/classic/G124.html
But they are very similar.

Edited to add: changed my mide Chris, it look's like the fruit bowl.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 11:04:59 AM »
The number of rings is wrong for Stuart Stratford,

Offline Sue C

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 11:20:35 AM »
OH well, got it wrong again :-[

Offline Chris Harrison

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 12:09:21 PM »
Thanks to everyone for their help.

Hmm, seems like I'm making a half-arsed job of describing what I'm posting.  Sorry.
Ed, the bowl glows GREEN under UV, but is a very deep, gorgeous TURQOISE in the light of the setting sun. 

Here's another pic from a lower angle, showing the rings better.
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-7992

To me, this is now the dead spit of the fruit bowl in Sue's link, especially comparing the knops and the dimensions.

Here's another ringed bowl that I'd forgotten about, also unmarked, but also looking to be a piece of Stuart.

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-7993

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 12:22:23 PM »
Looking at the new pic, which now shows the rings in the body of the bowl, the shape looks very poorly defined compared with Stratford. The ones I've had and the pic on the website have very clearly defined steps, not just ridges. Stratford was also made in lead crystal so it should have a really good ring and be heavy for its size. Maybe it is, I'd need to handle it, maybe it's a copy (as in very very similar design rather than fake).

Offline Sue C

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 12:29:02 PM »
Christine, as to Stuart mark's, have you found the same as me, as in some time's they can be very feignt, or on the edge, or even only half applied, so there is a chance that some are not marked?

Offline Chris Harrison

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2007, 12:40:10 PM »
Ta Christine

I'd say that, yes, it's lead crystal and yes, it rings nicely when tapped. 
I've just looked at the page from the Stuart catalogue in Andy McConnell's Miller's 20C Glass.  There seems to be quite a variation in the rings, depending on the piece.

I've got some of the smaller dessert bowls in clear crystal, and some have more pronounced stepped rings.  Also only some of them have the Stuart mark, but some of the signed bowls have pronounced rings and some don't.

Could we just be talking about the natural variation of mould-blown, hand-finished pieces? 
Especially since I'd guess that the base of the bowl was moulded first, the stem and foot were applied and finished off manually, and then lastly the rim was opened out and fire-polished, holding the bowl via a punty applied to the foot.  The constant returning of a piece to the glory-hole could easily reduce the prominence of the decoration.

Both bowl have a worn ring around the edge of the base, and that could easily conceal any original etched maker's mark.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2007, 12:50:40 PM »
Sounds like Stuart to me then, but it's more likely to contain a high concentration of manganese. which also gives a green glow just not as fluorescent, than uranium

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand