No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Iridescent Victorian tripod vase  (Read 8434 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Iridescent Victorian tripod vase
« on: July 22, 2007, 01:06:41 PM »
Picked this little beauty up for a song yesterday. whole posy top and foot

Has prong feet with pullouts, a ground and polished top rim, and lovely iridescence on a moulded martele type finish. The iridescence is much better than the picture - a lovely purply bronze. It also seems to be in green uranium glass. After some research, I have decided on two possible contenders Kralik or more likely Thomas Webb, possibly bronze glass. Any thoughts anyone please

Offline Hotglass

• Members
Re: Iridescent Victorian tripod vase
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 01:14:55 PM »
It looks in remarkably good condition. Are there any small chips, scratches etc at all ?
Sorry, can't help with maker. Ed.

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 01:42:02 PM »
It's absolutely gorgeous, Christine, and in uranium glass as well! Congratulations!

You've probably seen this thread, but just in case. http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,13880.msg89298.html#msg89298

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 01:55:27 PM »
It has two small flakes at the top but they are really hard to spot. I've looked at the thread and the Kralik stuff but I would actually say my pattern is slightly less irregular than Kralik. It certainly seems to have many of the characteristics of British Victorian glass when you look through Gulliver

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 03:47:27 PM »
Definitely the feet and general shape look British, don't they.

Just for comparison, here's my Kralik vase (excuse the great muddle of folders behind it...) and also see item 5903 . I'll be interested to find out the verdict on this gorgeous piece.

Cheers,
Cathy

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 04:17:51 PM »
Thanks Cathy. I've already wiped the drool off that page  ;D

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 12:36:18 PM »
Bump, cos Mike is about  ;D

Offline Mike M

• Members
    • http://www.manddmoir.com
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 08:36:05 PM »
Hmm not sure

I always assumed that these were done by any of the smaller 'nameless' bohemian (and maybe similar English) glass makers who had great jobbing glass blowers but were, shall we say, light on high design.

Those feet have to be finished in a matter of seconds or they crack -but, and please someone with more knowledge correct me, I think not a big name.

cheers

Mike

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 04:26:23 PM »
Hi Christine,

I believe I found the attribution you are referring to and I would not trust it either. I do not really even know if it is Czech, but I would say definitely not Loetz. The definition of the pattern in the decor is much more pronounced than the known Czech attributions I am familiar with for Martele. My experience is that Martele, meaning hammered, is generally a little softer looking, appearing more similar to what a beaten piece of copper or pewter may look like. I find suggestions in the thread that it may be English, and I do not do enough with English glass, as we never really see much in Seattle. I do, just from mild research though, associate that form of foot much more with an English origin than with a Czech origin. Although the Czechs made some vases with "thorn" bodies, I find thorned feet to be unusual for them. My experience is, with the exception of some very specific figural pieces, that applied Czech feet are usually flatter and more of a low profile, or simpler and appearing like flattened "strips".

I have forwarded a copy of the image to Alfredo for his opinion. I will post a reply when I hear from him.

Hope this helps
Craig

I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2009, 04:30:21 PM »
Thank you  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum