No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Scandinavian style Dartington vases - any idea when?  (Read 6378 times)

Offline Quackers

• Members
    • www.plantpref.co.uk
Scandinavian style Dartington vases - any idea when?
« on: July 22, 2007, 09:52:59 PM »
Hi I have just bought this vase on ebay 150144358454   (paste into box at top of page)

Last week I bought a amethyst version at a boot fair - sand-blasted mark "DARTINGTON" to base.  All I know is that they are after 1987 as they are not in either of the new Dartington books.  No pontil on my amethyst one, I think the top might be polished but it is a better job than my Whitefriars polished tops if it is.  Would I be right in thinking that these were not made in the Dartington factory :-\

Does anyone know a pattern no. or date of production for them please?  I'd also like to know what other colours they might exist in ;)
Tim

I started with Carnival glass, then other C20 irridescent, then Whitefriars ducks, then Dartington FT Daisies etc, then Whitefriars Tricorns...when will it end?

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Scandinavian style Dartington vases - any idea when?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 06:35:15 AM »
It does say in Eve and Mark's book that blue was introduced in the early 1990s

Offline skegby73

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 08:07:24 AM »
Glad you have raised this.

I have got one in green (quite light, like your blue) and one in clear.

Similarly, I would like to know the age/designer! 

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 10:42:50 AM »
Definitely not Frank if 1990s!

Offline Quackers

• Members
    • www.plantpref.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 07:40:28 PM »
Hi Christine, yes I know about the blue in the 90s but I think that refers to the bright Royal/Bristol type blue such as: 110151278249   

I'm wondering if these more subtle colours may be from the oft quoted Studio Range but I can't find any catalogue after 1972 (on the whitefriars.org forum) to look in.  I can't get to the catalogue on www.dartington.co.uk at the moment....just getting 404 errors :-\

Hi skegby, thanks for letting me know about the other colours.  Are either of yours marked or labelled?  I have a feeling these are Swedish in origin (design at least) but Frank did some very similar shapes in the 70s, so who knows...
Tim

I started with Carnival glass, then other C20 irridescent, then Whitefriars ducks, then Dartington FT Daisies etc, then Whitefriars Tricorns...when will it end?

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 08:31:56 PM »
Might be a bit of useless information, but I've had an amethyst version that wasn't marked in any way at all.  No 'Dartington' to the base.

I am not a man

Offline Quackers

• Members
    • www.plantpref.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 08:56:25 PM »
Hi Max, thanks for that...I guess I won't know how useful it is until we find out some more :P

I've got round to taking a photo of my Amethyst one so we have a reference once the auction disappears...
   http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-8022
Tim

Offline skegby73

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 10:45:49 PM »
There are no marks or labels on my vases, but one has an obvious air bubble which may mean it was deemed to be a second.

It also crosses my mind how consistent (over time) Dartington have been in etching pieces.  I have some Irish coffee glasses with just the Gold first quality label and others with both the label and an etched "D". 

I think we need the input of a Dartington employee - do any log onto this forum?!

Offline skegby73

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 08:13:50 AM »
I now also have a larger version with a third rib/hoop at the top.  (Again green and no marks or labels).

It is 9 inches tall and 3 inches wide on the base (compared to 7 inches and 2 inches for the smaller ones).

A gorgeous vase!

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 08:24:21 AM »
Definitely not Frank if 1990s!

You cannot say definitely, as designs can get issued for the first time years after a designer dies/retires.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand