Author Topic: Scandinavian style Dartington vases - any idea when?  (Read 2287 times)

Offline Quackers

• Members
    • www.plantpref.co.uk
Scandinavian style Dartington vases - any idea when?
« on: July 22, 2007, 09:52:59 PM »
Hi I have just bought this vase on ebay 150144358454   (paste into box at top of page)

Last week I bought a amethyst version at a boot fair - sand-blasted mark "DARTINGTON" to base.  All I know is that they are after 1987 as they are not in either of the new Dartington books.  No pontil on my amethyst one, I think the top might be polished but it is a better job than my Whitefriars polished tops if it is.  Would I be right in thinking that these were not made in the Dartington factory :-\

Does anyone know a pattern no. or date of production for them please?  I'd also like to know what other colours they might exist in ;)
Tim

I started with Carnival glass, then other C20 irridescent, then Whitefriars ducks, then Dartington FT Daisies etc, then Whitefriars Tricorns...when will it end?

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Scandinavian style Dartington vases - any idea when?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 06:35:15 AM »
It does say in Eve and Mark's book that blue was introduced in the early 1990s

Offline skegby73

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 08:07:24 AM »
Glad you have raised this.

I have got one in green (quite light, like your blue) and one in clear.

Similarly, I would like to know the age/designer! 

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 10:42:50 AM »
Definitely not Frank if 1990s!

Offline Quackers

• Members
    • www.plantpref.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 07:40:28 PM »
Hi Christine, yes I know about the blue in the 90s but I think that refers to the bright Royal/Bristol type blue such as: 110151278249   

I'm wondering if these more subtle colours may be from the oft quoted Studio Range but I can't find any catalogue after 1972 (on the whitefriars.org forum) to look in.  I can't get to the catalogue on www.dartington.co.uk at the moment....just getting 404 errors :-\

Hi skegby, thanks for letting me know about the other colours.  Are either of yours marked or labelled?  I have a feeling these are Swedish in origin (design at least) but Frank did some very similar shapes in the 70s, so who knows...
Tim

I started with Carnival glass, then other C20 irridescent, then Whitefriars ducks, then Dartington FT Daisies etc, then Whitefriars Tricorns...when will it end?

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 08:31:56 PM »
Might be a bit of useless information, but I've had an amethyst version that wasn't marked in any way at all.  No 'Dartington' to the base.

I am not a man

Offline Quackers

• Members
    • www.plantpref.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 08:56:25 PM »
Hi Max, thanks for that...I guess I won't know how useful it is until we find out some more :P

I've got round to taking a photo of my Amethyst one so we have a reference once the auction disappears...
   http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-8022
Tim

Offline skegby73

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 10:45:49 PM »
There are no marks or labels on my vases, but one has an obvious air bubble which may mean it was deemed to be a second.

It also crosses my mind how consistent (over time) Dartington have been in etching pieces.  I have some Irish coffee glasses with just the Gold first quality label and others with both the label and an etched "D". 

I think we need the input of a Dartington employee - do any log onto this forum?!

Offline skegby73

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 08:13:50 AM »
I now also have a larger version with a third rib/hoop at the top.  (Again green and no marks or labels).

It is 9 inches tall and 3 inches wide on the base (compared to 7 inches and 2 inches for the smaller ones).

A gorgeous vase!

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Gateway
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 08:24:21 AM »
Definitely not Frank if 1990s!

You cannot say definitely, as designs can get issued for the first time years after a designer dies/retires.
Frank A.
Please help preserve glass web-sites for posterity by donating to The Glass Study Association a non-profit organisation.
Scotland's Glass - Ysart Glass
Glass Zoo - Glass Study.COM
Commercial Czech

Search
eBay.com
eBay.co.uk

Enter key words
Link to Glass Encyclopedia
Link to Glass Museum
Enter
key words
to search