No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Scandinavian style Dartington vases - any idea when?  (Read 6399 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Scandinavian style Dartington vases - any idea when?
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2007, 10:17:13 AM »
I meant if the design is 1990s, it wasn't designed by Frank because he died in 1987. Even FT wasn't that good  >:D

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2007, 10:31:47 AM »
I'll drop Kim Thrower an email and see if he can shed any light.  Can't promise anything though.  :)

I am not a man

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2007, 11:05:30 AM »
I meant if the design is 1990s, it wasn't designed by Frank because he died in 1987. Even FT wasn't that good  >:D

A design can be produced 20 years after it was drawn! There is no time limit. Particularly where a designer was ahead of his time.

Offline skegby73

• Members
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2007, 06:28:45 PM »
The vases are part of the "Intimates" range designed by Belinda Hornsey.  I'm still not 100% sure about the date, but the design of the box I have would suggest mid to late 1990s.

If I have counted right, there are 8 designs, made up of four pairs at different heights.  Each pair "interlock" i.e. where one vase bows outwards, the partner vase bows inwards.

There are four colours:  Lavender, blue, green and clear crystal.

So there it is, no more confusion with Riihimaki!

Offline skegby73

• Members
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2007, 06:33:21 PM »
There is a picture of the vases currently available on:

www.ciarajade.com/dartington.htm

So print it out for reference while it is still there!

Offline Quackers

• Members
    • www.plantpref.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2007, 07:46:47 PM »
Hi, great to hear something firm about these  :clap: Now that I see that photo I have seen them somewhere before but had completely forgotten about them and didn't connect my two to that series.

BTW I have splashed out on a green one from ebay recently (cost more than the first two together ::) )  so now have 3 of this size.  Also picked up one of Rachel Woodman's Confetti range recently for a song  ;D
Tim

I started with Carnival glass, then other C20 irridescent, then Whitefriars ducks, then Dartington FT Daisies etc, then Whitefriars Tricorns...when will it end?

Offline Quackers

• Members
    • www.plantpref.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2007, 07:51:49 PM »
Forgot to ask - is there any chance of a photo of the box?  Cheers.
Tim

I started with Carnival glass, then other C20 irridescent, then Whitefriars ducks, then Dartington FT Daisies etc, then Whitefriars Tricorns...when will it end?

Offline robbo

• Members
  • London, England
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2007, 08:41:03 PM »
The vases are part of the "Intimates" range designed by Belinda Hornsey.  I'm still not 100% sure about the date, but the design of the box I have would suggest mid to late 1990s.

These are illustrated in 20th Century Factory Glass, page 60. Lesley Jackson says they where designed 1998.
robbo

Offline Quackers

• Members
    • www.plantpref.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2007, 08:54:15 PM »
Thanks Robbo, knew I'd seen it somewhere... :hb1:  Got to try and find some of the other shapes now, looks like I'm going to get confused with some of that Rhiimaen, good job the colours are different ;)
Tim

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2010, 11:44:50 PM »
for future reference as I don't think there are pics on the site  :-\ (I couldn't find them but that may have been my rubbish searching :)  )
I've been trying to identify a blue vase I have which I do now think is possibly this range.  There is a pic in 20th Century British Glass but I wasn't sure.

See link here for a pic from the VaM site
http://images.vam.ac.uk/item/O56584/vase/?print=1

And here's a pic of my blue one.  I wasn't sure at first whether it was exactly the same but from another post it is the right height (23cm) I think, however mine still doesn't look quite right to me?  

m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand