Author Topic: Scandinavian style Dartington vases - any idea when?  (Read 2222 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Scandinavian style Dartington vases - any idea when?
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2007, 10:17:13 AM »
I meant if the design is 1990s, it wasn't designed by Frank because he died in 1987. Even FT wasn't that good  >:D

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2007, 10:31:47 AM »
I'll drop Kim Thrower an email and see if he can shed any light.  Can't promise anything though.  :)

I am not a man

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Gateway
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2007, 11:05:30 AM »
I meant if the design is 1990s, it wasn't designed by Frank because he died in 1987. Even FT wasn't that good  >:D

A design can be produced 20 years after it was drawn! There is no time limit. Particularly where a designer was ahead of his time.
Frank A.
Please help preserve glass web-sites for posterity by donating to The Glass Study Association a non-profit organisation.
Scotland's Glass - Ysart Glass
Glass Zoo - Glass Study.COM
Commercial Czech

Offline skegby73

• Members
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2007, 06:28:45 PM »
The vases are part of the "Intimates" range designed by Belinda Hornsey.  I'm still not 100% sure about the date, but the design of the box I have would suggest mid to late 1990s.

If I have counted right, there are 8 designs, made up of four pairs at different heights.  Each pair "interlock" i.e. where one vase bows outwards, the partner vase bows inwards.

There are four colours:  Lavender, blue, green and clear crystal.

So there it is, no more confusion with Riihimaki!

Offline skegby73

• Members
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2007, 06:33:21 PM »
There is a picture of the vases currently available on:

www.ciarajade.com/dartington.htm

So print it out for reference while it is still there!

Offline Quackers

• Members
    • www.plantpref.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2007, 07:46:47 PM »
Hi, great to hear something firm about these  :clap: Now that I see that photo I have seen them somewhere before but had completely forgotten about them and didn't connect my two to that series.

BTW I have splashed out on a green one from ebay recently (cost more than the first two together ::) )  so now have 3 of this size.  Also picked up one of Rachel Woodman's Confetti range recently for a song  ;D
Tim

I started with Carnival glass, then other C20 irridescent, then Whitefriars ducks, then Dartington FT Daisies etc, then Whitefriars Tricorns...when will it end?

Offline Quackers

• Members
    • www.plantpref.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2007, 07:51:49 PM »
Forgot to ask - is there any chance of a photo of the box?  Cheers.
Tim

I started with Carnival glass, then other C20 irridescent, then Whitefriars ducks, then Dartington FT Daisies etc, then Whitefriars Tricorns...when will it end?

Offline robbo

• Members
  • London, England
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2007, 08:41:03 PM »
The vases are part of the "Intimates" range designed by Belinda Hornsey.  I'm still not 100% sure about the date, but the design of the box I have would suggest mid to late 1990s.

These are illustrated in 20th Century Factory Glass, page 60. Lesley Jackson says they where designed 1998.
robbo

Offline Quackers

• Members
    • www.plantpref.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2007, 08:54:15 PM »
Thanks Robbo, knew I'd seen it somewhere... :hb1:  Got to try and find some of the other shapes now, looks like I'm going to get confused with some of that Rhiimaen, good job the colours are different ;)
Tim

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2010, 11:44:50 PM »
for future reference as I don't think there are pics on the site  :-\ (I couldn't find them but that may have been my rubbish searching :)  )
I've been trying to identify a blue vase I have which I do now think is possibly this range.  There is a pic in 20th Century British Glass but I wasn't sure.

See link here for a pic from the VaM site
http://images.vam.ac.uk/item/O56584/vase/?print=1

And here's a pic of my blue one.  I wasn't sure at first whether it was exactly the same but from another post it is the right height (23cm) I think, however mine still doesn't look quite right to me?  

m

This Website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand