No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Are these glasses Whitefriars Bark?  (Read 4100 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Are these glasses Whitefriars Bark?
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2007, 02:12:23 PM »
They're not Ravenhead, cos Anne's Ravenhead glasses don't have the stippling under the rim like Trudy's and AH's. Looks like Anchor Hocking gets it. It also seems more likely for glasses found in Australia

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2007, 02:27:06 PM »
Sorry Christine - at first glance they're incredibly similar - I've just scritinised Trudy's original photo and there does appear to be stippling to the top.  I also didn't realise Trudy was in Oz (Trudy could you add your location so it shows on your postings - it's always helpful).  I've had my wristies well and truly slapped Christine  :-[

ooooh and this was my 1000th posting as well!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2007, 02:28:26 PM »
Oooer!  As Christine says, it looks like CathyB is right!   :clap: :D

I didn't realise Trudy was in Australia either.  Nevermind though, because that's another piece of information tucked away for us.  Thanks GMB!

I am not a man

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2007, 06:23:14 PM »
Wow fascinating! The tumblers are almost the same. Cathy, do you have sizes for the AH ones please as Trudy's are the same size as my Ravenhead ones (I checked that before my earlier post.) 

I wasn't sure from the photo if Trudy's are stippled or if it's the background behind showing through.

BTW the feet on the AH wine goblets are not the same as those of the Ravenhead ones - the Ravenhead ones are flatter aren't they?
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007, 01:50:50 AM »
It was just that I wouldn't have even given Ravenshead a thought - so it's a lesson for me as well. There's also a possibility that they might be some other lookalike! I guess that especially in that low end of the market (no offence meant to anyone), similar patterns are pretty common.

Does anyone else see differences in the ripples of the patterns though? Ravenshead seems to be less ice-like and more fluid--mind, this is working from the photographs.

Anne, I'm not sure about what sizes they came in - they're not in any of my US books (which cover earlier periods). I've only handled them once, and then I decided not to buy them! Shame Connie has disappeared - she could have helped.

Offline selina

• Members
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2007, 08:27:23 AM »
Thanks for all that help everyone. I didnt reply straight away as I was in la la land  :sleep:

I thought I had put where I was from?? It seems to have disappeared..maybe I didnt do it correctly.

We do see a fair bit of Anchor Hocking over here so big chances that it is that.

Interesting to read all the advice and Ive now been introduced to another maker. :)

Trudy
Trudy

Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.

Offline selina

• Members
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2007, 09:35:05 AM »
Thanks again..okay, have done that..this is the tester.

Trudy
Trudy

Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.

Offline Heidimin

• Researcher
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2007, 09:16:08 PM »
Hi, everyone.

Coming a bit late to the party - travel and family stuff...

David sent me an article from Pottery Gazette in 1970 announcing the launch of the Ravenhead Vista range. It came in two colours, "a rich turquoise" and "amber-gold". (I think this was the first time Ravenhead had used coloured glass.) The tumblers came in three shapes, each in three sizes, Angel (cylindrical with a hobnail base), Venice (curved conical with heavy base) and Nevada (textured cylindrical), and there were also bowls, dishes, ashtrays and a water set.

The range was designed by Alexander Hardie Williamson, and the glasses were sold in special packs designed by consultant designer David Harris: “echoing the Vista name, tumblers are arranged in sets of six to give a panoramic appearance, with a coloured reproduction of Niagara Falls at night on the back.”

There are pictures of Angel and Venice in the Design Council Slide Collection (http://vads.ahds.ac.uk/) - unfortunately, Niagara Falls aren't visible - too tacky for the Design Council, perhaps?
Heidi

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2007, 05:18:42 AM »
Hi Heidi,

According to Matt Freier, the AH 'Lido' pattern glasses were apparently made in avocado green, honey gold, aquamarine, turquoise and clear, and in this shape came in 5 oz (juice), 10 oz (tumbler), and 12 oz (tumbler) sizes. There are twelve shapes in the range including a ball shaped water jug. http://home.comcast.net/~mfreier/lido.htm

Lido is apparently often mistaken for AH Milano, (including by Replacements http://www.replacements.com/webquote/AHCMILG.htm).

I'm not sure whether it has the stippling at the top though, and I wouldn't be too surprised if it was a local and/or Asian variation.

Cheers!

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2007, 06:09:38 PM »
Just to add a little more info re differences to the pot, the footed Nevada glasses by Ravenhead have clear feet, at least on the blue ones.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand