No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Green swirly vase possibly Nazeing?  (Read 2343 times)

Offline Sue C

• Members
Green swirly vase possibly Nazeing?
« on: July 24, 2007, 12:44:47 PM »
Does anyone recognise this vase, the photo's make it look blue but it is actually green
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-8031
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-8030
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-8029
look's a bit like Monart but i dont think so!!
                                                           Many thank's Sue  :-*

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Geen swirly vase
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 02:14:39 PM »
It matches your nails! I would guess Nazeing from the 'eyes', but I could be wrong

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Sue C

• Members
Re: Geen swirly vase
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 03:29:37 PM »
The nail's are the dafter's, but your right Christine could be Nazeing, looking at the examples on Frank's site the little swirls in the glass are very similar, they remind me of Tadpole's :-\ it's quite heavy 3lb 140z.

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
Re: Green swirly vase possibly Nazeing?
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 02:19:23 AM »
Hi Sue, I've changed the title of the thread to try to attract Stephen - hope that's okay! I can't see anything like it in Geoff Timberlake's book, but Stephen will know.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
Re: Green swirly vase possibly Nazeing?
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 10:30:33 AM »
Or..........It might even attract me!!!

This is NOT Nazeing. I rarely state things so categorically, but I believe that on this occasion it is correct to do so.

As many of the GMB readers will know, I do not believe that one characteristic in/on a piece of glass can be used to identify it - you need at least three.

The shape of this vase, its colour and the base finish, which shows that the piece was blown into a mould and, it would appear, has a cut top, all suggest that it is not Nazeing. Whilst items produced by Nazeing can be blown into a mould, these have known shapes.

My vote is that this is far younger , and may even have eminated from the emporium of T K Maxx. Certainly I used a beaker/tumbler/bucket form vase, in a recent talk about Nazeing, as a good example of mistaken identity. I bought it 18 months ago at T K Maxx with a Murano label on. It does not resemble the vase we are dicussing, but is just used as an example of how things can get mistaken. I bought it as a reference piece in order to avoid making mistakes in my quest to document Nazeing shapes and colours, which iI have been doing for longer than I have been dealing (I'm now in my 22nd year).

Sorry, but I think it's back to the drawing board!!

Nigel

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand