No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Graal vase - ID = Jonathan Winfisky  (Read 7729 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Graal
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2005, 08:12:38 PM »
Quote from: "Bill Geary"
UnfortĂșnately, I do not agree with his assessment that many crack at least not in the Swedish factories

That is true, in my rush I should have made that part specific to Lindean Mill's first attempts at making flat panels from a blown Graal cylinder.

General failure can occur when the design does not work as intended.

My knowledge of Orrefors graal (the original) is very small. They have used the technique long enough to do it without problems.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Graal vase
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2005, 10:11:23 PM »
Adam wrote: When using Paradise Paints, these are applied at the point where in Graal the engraving or sandbalsting is done, so it is done cold

Right, that makes sense, it was just that KevH quoted from the Hoglund website:

Here the image is first painted on the small initial bubble , then trapped between layers of hot glass before being blown into its final form by Ola

So, I was thinking it was hot...

I think my brains crumbling due to over stimulation... :shock:  :o
I am not a man

Offline Bill G

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • World Art Glass
Graal
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2005, 05:26:48 AM »
Ulrica Hydman Vallien, the wife of Bertil Vallien and an accomplished artist in may mediums including glass,
in her book from 1990,  describes the "kabal" technique  where Ulrica uses Paradise paint on the blank
after the design has been cut. The blank is then overlayed with clear crystal and blown out into the final form most often a heavy vase.

She also defines another method. The blank after being cut and painted is overlayed with a colored glass rather than the clear crystal. Cold workers then cut away to present the images in the glass. It si called a Jewel Technique.

Thought the group would be interested in this development.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand