Glass Discussion & Research. NO IDENTIFICATION REQUESTS here please. > USA

Graal vase - ID = Jonathan Winfisky

<< < (2/3) > >>

Max:
Wow Bill, you don't post often, but when you do, it's fascinating!  That's given me a wonderful insight into the technical problems associated with Graal - thank you.   :D

And....that Californian paint sounds verrrry interesting.  How I'd love to combine my two favourite things, painting and glass...any chance Adam A?  :wink:  :roll:

KevinH:
I can't say from the pics whether Nicky's piece is really "painted graal" or simply hot worked glass encased within clear.

A Google search for "Painted Graal" shows some interesting examples. Here's a quote from one site for Höglund Art Glass, describing the new technique:
--- Quote ---Painted Graal

Painted Graal is a challenging and exciting new technique for Marie Simberg-Höglund. She has painted on glass as a surface decoration before, but this is a completely different technique. Here the image is first painted on the small initial bubble, then trapped between layers of hot glass before being blown into its final form by Ola. The painted image is stretched and expanded by the blowing, a technique demanding great skill and control.
--- End quote ---

Let's hope that "Painted Graal" does not become regularly described as "Graal", but I suppose in eBayLand it will be inevitable  :)

Anonymous:

--- Quote ---Kev said: Here the image is first painted on the small initial bubble, then trapped between layers of hot glass before being blown into its final form by Ola.
--- End quote ---

Hmmm.  I've been thinking about this, and wondering what on earth they use as a painting utensil on hot glass?   :?  :?

On a similar note - well, not that similar I admit - there's talk on whitefriars.com about glass blowing tubes.  Someones put a pic on the 'Is It Whitefriars' section of someone actually blowing glass using glass tubing, and what looks like a glass pontil rod too...why doesn't it melt?  Doesn't it get very hot?  Isn't it really tricky snapping off the pontil rod? I could ask permission to copy the pic here maybe...?

aa:
http://www.winfiskyglass.com/gallery.html?item_index=0&portfolio_item_id=23&portfolio_cat_id=6#focus

Note: these paperweights are described as "Blown glass paperweights with various colors and inclusions"

--- Quote from: "aa" ---I can see why you describe it is Graal. The encased decoration is reminiscent of some Graal vases. However, although one can never be sure from a picture, I think it is extremely unlikely this is Graal.
--- End quote ---

I never like to say definitely until I am 100% sure, because although it would be unusual, "the twigs" or "branches" could have been achieved using Graal, though this would be unlikely. The description of "inclusions" to describe the "twigs" confirms that it isn't Graal.

aa:
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,1025.0.html

Max, this thread has quite a lot on Graal. When using Paradise Paints, these are applied at the point where in Graal the engraving or sandbalsting is done, so it is done cold. If it still remains a mystery I'll try to clarify later! :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version