No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Bride of Kuttrolf...  (Read 2622 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Bride of Kuttrolf...
« on: July 25, 2007, 11:15:56 AM »
I picked up this beastie recently...

Bride of Kuttrolf

I can't find any reference to this shape, and it's the only one of them I've seen. I'm starting to doubt that it was entered into commercial production, as I assume it would be quite complex to make on any large scale and where the two halves meet is fairly wobbly at best.

I know that Michael Bang was experimenting a lot with the kuttrolf form in the early 1980s, so might this hail from that period? Or is it just a later frigger sold via the factory shop? Or, alternatively, I might be wrong and it was an adventurous production model...

Any clues?

PS: It's a touch under 31cm tall.

Offline HarderNet.dk

• Members
    • HarderNet.dk DANISH GLASSWORKS RESOURCE MUSEUM
Re: Bride of Kuttrolf...
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 11:32:00 AM »
Hej Nic.

Oh, I find my starring at the photo, I have never seen this shape before, so if this is a Holmegaard design, as it seems, I have never seen this shape on sale in DK and I do not recall from abroad.
Peter

DANISH GLASSWORKS RESOURCE MUSEUM
Holmegaard Glasswork, Kastrup Glasswork, Fyens Glasswork
HarderNet.dk

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 11:50:53 AM »
I'm fairly sure the Holmegaard label is original to the piece, and it's also in the right colour of crystal for the period (slightly blue-tinted). The twist of the 'columns' also matches what M. Bang was doing with the kuttrolf shape in the 1983 with the Bogø, Samsø and Fanø klukflasker.

Offline HarderNet.dk

• Members
    • HarderNet.dk DANISH GLASSWORKS RESOURCE MUSEUM
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 12:14:29 PM »
I have been looking at a lot of antique webshops in dk, but none has the shape only the welknown kluk kluk shape.
Peter

DANISH GLASSWORKS RESOURCE MUSEUM
Holmegaard Glasswork, Kastrup Glasswork, Fyens Glasswork
HarderNet.dk

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 07:23:42 PM »
Thanks for looking anyway, Peter. I have about 25 kuttrolf decanters hailing from across the last 125 years or so, and this is certainly the oddest of the lot.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand