No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: J.I. Co label in Murano101 - new info  (Read 30542 times)

Offline shandiane78

• Members
Re: J.I. Co label in Murano101 - new info
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2007, 09:48:49 PM »
Those are great! Thanks for sharing them. Once I get a good collection of images going, I'll get them hosted up somewhere so anyone interested can browse them.

One question though...I read somewhere that there is some "fair use" law where you can use internet images for research and study without worrying about copyright issues - As long as you aren't publishing them in a book or using them to sell something, etc. Does anyone know the details of this? I have a lot of images now, but most of them are without permission, so I don't know if I could legally put them into an online album or not.  As long as I'm not profiting in any way, I think it would fall into that fair use category?
Shannon

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2007, 02:48:59 AM »
Shandiane, you are more than welcome to create an album for images you own or have permission to re-use  on GlassGallery. It's the dedicated image hosting gallery for this board, so anything you upload there becomes a permanent reference source connected back to the board.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2007, 02:14:18 PM »
Shandiane, I would not use a photo without permission. Fair use usually refers to taking small amounts of documented text. Photos are protected under copyright law. I doubt that many people would mind if you used a picture, since it wouldn't be for profit, but there may be one or two who would. For long term use, I would include only pictures that had permission and were credited to the original photographer if he/she wants the name mentioned.

Anita
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline shandiane78

• Members
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2007, 08:16:00 PM »
Bumping for anyone who wants to check out the gallery and/or contribute. 47 images so far!

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/thumbnails.php?album=532

Shannon
Shannon

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2007, 12:01:59 AM »
That's really good, Shannon, well done.  :clap:

Do you think a credit for the image contributor would be a good idea? It could go into the file information section for each image, also any more info about each piece as you find it - dates, makers, etc... it'll make a really good resource in time.

Offline shandiane78

• Members
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2007, 06:30:24 PM »
Those are great suggestions, Anne. Unfortunately, I have not saved the information regarding the sources (I can find them again, but that will take a while), and I've been uploading so many images that I haven't had time to provide details or descriptions. Eventually I will put up my own site for images, and to this I will add as much information as I can offer. My husband is a computer geek, so he could easily make a web site for me. :-)

Do you think you could put me in contact with Sylvia so I can pick her brains a little?

Thanks!
Shannon
Shannon

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2007, 08:12:28 PM »
Sure Shannon, Sylvia has already consented to my doing this, so I've emailed you her details.

Offline shandiane78

• Members
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2007, 06:51:12 PM »
I've got the gallery up now, but still have more images to add, and the accompanying informational site is not ready yet:

http://gallery.blancoglass.com/main.php

Shannon
Shannon

Offline twenty21

• Members
    • twenty21
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2008, 09:58:33 AM »
Very interesting information about J I Co! I have had pieces in the past with the label and I have always been lost about getting information about their origin. I currently have a tall flattened vase, stunning blue case in amber. Picture is below.

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-9219

thanks again! Carlo
all text and pictures © twenty21

Offline Venice1

• Members
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2010, 06:26:49 AM »
Hello,
I worked and lived in Murano most of my life. The partner of J.I. Co in murano owned his own glass factory for 30 years and was my boss. Therefore I know he was the designer and fabricator of the pieces which he exported all over the world. J.I. Co. was one of the export companies he use to export to America. Mr. Blanco did have wonderful taste and had a good eye for fine pieces of Murano glass. I had a chance to meet Mr. Blanco, he was a very nice person. (Tobacco pipe! ) 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand