No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 3 ID's : Walsh Walsh Pompeian  (Read 7435 times)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
3 ID's : Walsh Walsh Pompeian
« on: June 06, 2004, 07:19:20 AM »
Moderator Guest images have gone but useful elements of threads are saved.

There are at least three ranges of bubbly glass of the Walsh Pompeian type found in the UK.   Summary:

1a. Walsh Pompeian standard production.   This is either marked "Walsh England" as Reynolds fig 116, or is unmarked.   It always matches in shape and size the Pompeian pattern information found in Factory pattern books "W" and "A" at the end of Eric's book.   The colours are always bright and fresh.   The pontil is usually neatly ground out and polished.   The two examples of what Eric terms "pink" that I have had through my hands are actually clear cased ruby or "cranberry" as collectors have renamed it.   All the other colours, including amethyst, are homogenous single colours.

1b. Early Walsh Pompeian trade samples.   Not in the Factory pattern books, these rarities are marked "Walsh".   Three are known to me, one of which is illustrated at plate 21 (ii), despite the plate's slightly erroneous caption.   My example of this bowl has the distinction of carrying the faintest Walsh mark I have ever found, in fact just the central part - "/als".

2. There is an unmarked attractive range of glass similar to Walsh Pompeian being made today.   I found it for sale in in the souvenir shops at Arbeia (South Shields) and Segedunum (Wallsend) Roman forts at the east end of Hadrian's Wall, so I imagine that it is probably being sold at Roman sites and museums throughout Britain and possibly in other parts of the Roman Empire.    I doubt whether it will appear in any quantity on the second-hand or antique markets, but you should be aware of this.   If it was distinctively marked and there was information available as to the origins of the patterns it could become collectable in its own right - cf Harry Powell's travel notebook & Whitefriars' copies of Roman glass, and also Goss crested china copies of Roman pottery.   Does anyone know who is making or distributing it?

3.There is at least one other range of such glass which appears from time to time on the British second-hand / antique market.   I have no idea of its origins or date other than that it is not Walsh and is probably post-war as green and yellow examples don't react to my UV tester, unlike Walsh Pompeian which sets the curtains alight.   Here is an example from stock:

Standard image:
http://bernard.cavalot.users.btopenworld.com/gm040606a/lg_pomp_lookalike.jpg

I hope that helps, or at least makes the subject slightly less confusing.  
===============================
Walsh measurements are reasonably precise. A4810 is shown in three sizes, 8", 10" and 12".

Finally, all the examples I have seen of bubbly crystal-cased ruby / cranberry have been Walsh Pompeian, without exception. I don't think any other glassworks ever made such a combination, not just in Britain, but world-wide.
The shape mould is better known for its use in producing the blank that was cut with Farquharson's designs, such as Kendal A5732 and Leaf A5753.   See also Reynolds figs 63 and 65.   The pattern book lists it in four sizes, 6", 8", 10" and 12".

Here is a trademarked example of amethyst Pompeian, even deeper and more intense in colour than Reynolds pl. 21 (iii).  

Standard image:
http://bernard.cavalot.users.btopenworld.com/gm040608a/lg_am_pomp.jpg
Walsh Pompeian pattern No. A5128 in what Walsh probably termed "canary" (uranium yellow).   If you check the "A" factory pattern book reproduced in Reynolds, you will see that this is a late Pompeian pattern, a contemporary of the rare Pompeian table lamp illustrated in plate 20.

Standard image, 400w x 169h, 6Kb

Supersize image, 600w x 254h, 12Kb

These three images are the copyright and intellectual property of board member paradisetrader.   Please respect this.
============================
Please email me for photographs once the links cease working.

Bernard C.  :?
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline keith

• Members
Re: 3 ID's : Walsh Walsh Pompeian
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 11:49:44 AM »
Thanks for all the replies,I've looked at so many pieces of 'bubble' glass I'm seeing double but just noticed in 20th Century British Glass,page 148,a number of vases with clear bases designed by Keith Murray,am I clutching at straws? from what I've read his designs came in many colours and variations in weight and size,I do like to dream ::) ::) ;D

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 09:22:02 PM »
Ok, I'm a dreamer :cry: :cry:

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 08:42:07 AM »
no you aren't a dreamer, however I have no idea what you are discussing? did you add your comments onto the wrong thread?  there are no pictures in this thread so to which are you referring?
m

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 04:17:16 PM »
Oops,I'm an idiot,this is the piece......

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 07:47:48 PM »
Keith it's quite hard to tell from your photo.  The closeness of the pic isn't really close enough to see the bubbles but is too close to see the real shape of your vase.  I don't think the shape matches any on that page, I think the bubbles don't look right, they somehow aren't round and 'watery looking' enough, and I think the casing is too thick on the base (although the casing on the pink one in that pic pag 148 is quite deep admittedly)....but as I say, perhaps that is the photo  :-\
m

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 08:40:58 PM »
Better pic's? this was from another post but tagged it on this as they were connected,the book did say sizes and shapes did vary a lot so I dream on ::) ::) ;D ;D

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 08:50:40 PM »
well, honestly I'm the last person who should be commenting .....  ;D but I will anyway
The casing on your vase immediately did remind me of my one and only Stevens and Williams which has a markedly thick casing on the base.  It's also an incredibly heavy vase.  However the bubbles in yours just don't look the same as those in the book to me.  Not sure about the shape though either, it's a bit narrow at the base.   - but as I said, really, I shouldn't be commenting.
m

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 12:53:51 AM »
Please,comment away it's how we/I learn,I agree the bubbles are different and I don't have anything else similar and the ones in the book were the closest I've seen to this one.I'm hoping to get a book on Keith Murray designs,it might help,or not,thanks for looking anyway,
                                                                                                                                          Keith, ;D ;D

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 10:57:33 PM »
Keith here's one that you can see the bubbles more clearly on (I hope you can, once linked)
http://www.millersantiquesguide.com/items/103178/a-1930s-stevens-williams-royal-/
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand