No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Please help ID old scrambled weight  (Read 2471 times)

Offline david31162

• Members
Please help ID old scrambled weight
« on: August 02, 2007, 08:57:14 PM »
I've been looking out for inexpensive early english or french paperweights for some time. I think i've found an early one at last ( though Ive no idea of its origins!). The lady I bought it from remembers it being in the family for as long as she could recall 50 years. It has a couple of bruises and a large bubble so no monetary value but I'll keep I as it seems very different top other scrambled weights I have. Darker glass, slightly irregular and a good mix of latticino and other canes. The brown marks are aventurine but don't show up too well on the picture.
My real question is..Is there anything to the shape style of the canes in such a weight that can indicate its origin?
Thanks
David

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline RAY

• Members
Re: Please help ID old scrambled weight
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 12:08:39 AM »
 old venetian would be my guess
cheers Ray

Offline david31162

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 09:52:03 PM »
Thanks Ray , I guess alll the latticino and aventurine was the clue??
 Can anyone recommend a book or on-line source to help with the identification of early English and European weights?
 Thanks David

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 11:58:55 AM »
Don't dismiss the idea that this weight might even be Chinese.  Some of the early Chinese latticino is excellent.  In fact, I bought a weight on ebay a while ago which both Ray and I thought was a Baccarat from the pictures, but which turned out to be Chinese. 

The yellow latticino twists in your weight look quite similar to one of my Chinese 'upset muslin' ones, too. 

A book I would recommend is 'Paperweights' by Sibylle Jargstorf, which covers a wide variety of weights, and Hollister's 'Encyclopedia of Glass Paperweights', while an old book now, is one I still find very useful.  I'm afraid I don't know a book which would be best for Old English and European specifically, but there are many knowledgeable people here who may be able to tell you. 

Leni   
Leni

Offline david31162

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 07:10:33 PM »
Thanks Leni I'll look out for these books.
 I hadn't realised that Chinese weights were produced that early.
 Thanks
David

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 01:47:16 AM »
Definitely not Chinese.

Check out my web page for Glass paperweights, Paperweight Books, and Paperweight Information
http://paperweights.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 06:27:03 AM »
For Old English paperweights, try the book  'Old English Paperweights' by Bob Hall.  See http://astore.amazon.co.uk/collectorssite-21 for a whole lot of books on paperweights (go to the paperweight menu - Old English Paperweights is on the first page of that).

I am 99.9% certain this is Venetian (Murano). At first sight Victorian, but looking at the pink thread latticino, I don't think it is that old - maybe 1950s?

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline david31162

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 12:28:40 AM »
Thanks Allan and Alan, Ill look out for this book.
 My first thought was Victorian,simply from the colour and overall look of the glass.  I have no knowledge at all about canes. Hopefully the books will help.
Many thanks
David

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand