No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Whitefriars 'Cirrus' Vases...  (Read 2541 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Whitefriars 'Cirrus' Vases...
« on: August 05, 2007, 05:25:21 PM »
Was lucky enough to pick up two WF 9890 'Cirrus' vases from 1980 in Gold w/ Aqua and Sky Blue streaks today at a bootsale. Both are fully labeled (i.e. Whitefriars factory label, small label explaining that they have an antique finish and any bubbles are on purpose, and a pattern number to the base) - so hurray.

Just wondering if they count as a "studio range", and how long they were in production for before WF went bust?

Thanks in advance. I'll upload piccies when I get chance to take some.  :)

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Re: Whitefriars 'Cirrus' Vases...
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 08:50:17 AM »
Crikey!!!!! You ARE lucky!!!!!   I am GREEN with envy! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  But seriously though......as the factory closed down in September 1980, and they were only introduced into the catalogue in 1980, the production run could not have been very long and in any event W/f seemed to be concentrating more on cut glass at that time.  They do not seem to have been described as "Studio glass" , but does that matter???
Hurry up Nic and let's see some photos!  Emmi

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 09:23:00 AM »
Hi i have had 4 of these over the years they were all made by Ray Annenberg who is a friend of mine.if you need more info i can ask him .regards.john hobbs .or hobles as pinkie calls me.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 09:47:22 AM »
Oh, great to see you here John!  We met at Gaydon - I was on the GMB stand and bought something from Ray.  :D  Nice to see you.  :) :)

I am not a man

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 10:24:58 AM »
Hello Emmi & John. Thanks for the responses.

I was just curious about the 'studio' status, or otherwise, of the Cirrus range. They will most likely be going straight on to my shop site, so I didn't want to go overboard with the description by calling them 'studio' if they're not. I did actually buy them for myself because I thought the colours were bizarre and interesting, but sadly they look quite out of place on my shelves in amongst all the bright and clean-lined Danish glass.

John, do you happen to know if Mr. Annenberg was the designer of the range or, if not, then who that might be?

I'll get some photographs up later today - some new brighter photography bulbs arrived in the post, and I need something to test them out on.  ;D

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 12:56:33 PM »

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 06:22:38 PM »
 Hi just had a word with Ray he said Geof Baxter designed them, ray made them all.I asked him about one i have seen on one of the sites that has a bulbous top ,he said it does not sound like one of his.If i can find it i will print it and show him. He also said they are not studio but a lot of people refer to them as such . JPH

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007, 06:40:21 PM »
Thanks for all the information, it's cleared up a few things! And please pass on my thanks to Mr. Annenberg when you speak to him next.  :)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 06:40:05 PM »
Nic, your pics have gone AWOL - can you reinstate them for reference please?
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand