No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Paperweight Salvador Ysart? ID = Murano  (Read 4514 times)

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Paperweight Salvador Ysart? ID = Murano
« on: August 06, 2007, 09:51:46 AM »
Hi, I picked up a very nice paperweight at the weekend.  It has 3 concentric rings around a very nice central cane. The inner ring has a Y cane - this is a star in brown and white and the Y is black.  The height is 2 inches and width is 2 1/2 inches with flat base. Can anyone tell me how rare this is and approximate value.
Many thanks, JPH

Mod:  GlassGallery photo's of this item are available below.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline karelm

• Members
Re: Paperweight Salvador Ysart?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 10:14:11 AM »
Is it possible to get a photo posted please?
Karel
"Holy cows make the best steaks"

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 11:26:47 AM »
 Hi Karelm i will try to put some on but i am new to computers and very low tech so you may have to wait.I see you are in Austria where my great grandfather came from .His name was Walter Augustus Von Trilsbach. What a grand name .Regards .JPH

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 12:27:17 PM »
John, I've sent you an email offering help with your photograph/s.  In case you don't pick that email up, my address is:  maxeen AT aol  DOT com

Just drop me a line if I can help.
 :)

I am not a man

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 09:57:16 PM »
A photo is virtually essential for this one.

However the description:
... a star in brown and white and the Y is black
sounds like it could be right. But if it's a definte "star", rather than a "cog" (having flattened ends to the "arms" instead of distinct points) then I might query it.

Click here for an example of a Salvador "Y" cane from one of my own weights.

All of the weights I have seen with a Salvador "Y" cane have been 3 inch diameter or slightly larger. So 2 1/2 inch is interesting.

Also interesting is a "flat base". Does this mean absolutely flat - and smoothly polished? If so, that is unusual.

Rarity? Well, any wieght (or ink bottle, or perhaps some other item) with a Salvador "Y" cane is much rarer than those without. But over the last few years, several more have come to light, including at least two ink bottles with a "Y" cane in both the base and stopper.

Value? Hard to say. It depends very much on the actual appearance of the weight and the type of other canes it contains - and whether it is really a Salvador weight.

A few words, however, on retail prices...

I once bought an unsigned concentric that looks just as good as one of my signed ones. The unsigned one cost me £20. The signed one was somewhere around the £300 mark. But I also set what I believe was a world record ("silly price") for a signed Salvador weight. That one cost a lot more than the earlier one. The main reason I was prepared to pay the extra was because it also had a very rare early Vasart label. But after that, the higher price began to be "the norm" for "Y" weights without a label.

How much is the "higher price"? ... keep an eye on dealer websites and eBay - although not seen too often, they now seem to vary from around £600 to over £1,000! But just because a dealer may be asking a very high price does not mean that anyone will actually pay that much.
KevinH

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 07:49:09 AM »
Hi kev. We have met, you bought a salvador ink bottle from me a while back. I sent some pics to max yesterday but it looks like she didnt get them. I will have another go this morning. The base is flat polished, there are quite a lot of interesting canes. One that stands out is a white cog with bright orange dot in centre. The star is six point, just noticed the star is cased in blue - hard to see from top. The canes rest on a bed of chopped canes, some of these are pulled in towards centre leaving a clear circle 1cm dia.
John

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
I am not a man

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 10:26:37 AM »
sorry but it's not a ysart weight but made in murano
cheers Ray

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 10:54:43 AM »
Hi Ray does this meen Murano are forging Ysart or the y cane is used by a Muranese,there is some natural wear on base and lower side.Ah well for ten quid its a good lesson.Thanks at least i know the ink bottle i sold to Kev was right.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 04:06:39 PM »
Hi John,

I am a bit surprised that you did not recognise the weight as a Murano item. However, with the "Y" in middle of that cane, I can understand the question about it.

... does this meen Murano are forging Ysart or the y cane is used by a Muranese ...
Absolutely not. The structure of the cane and the form of the "Y" is completely different to that of the Salvador Y cane and looks nothing at all like any Scottish cane from the 1930s/50s period. Also, it's no more an attempt at copying than, say, the "Y" cane placed in various weights commissioned by the Yelverton Paperweight Centre. They are all distinctly different.

But this is the first time I have seen a proper Y" in a Murano cane - even though it may just be a 3-element geometric design rather than a letter. There have been several cases of people selling Murano (and Chinese) weights claiming that there is a "Y" cane but all those I have seen were simply distortions of a basic cane. This one is clear. I wonder if it was intended as a letter and, if so, for what purpose?
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand