No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Uranium glass help  (Read 5419 times)

Offline Leni

• Members
Uranium glass help
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2005, 12:36:58 PM »
Thanks, Glen!   :D  Good to have the 'Lily/Iris' thing cleared up  :lol:

Actually, I'd still rather like a fish centre-piece in my bowl.  I know the 'purists' would probably shudder with horror  :wink:

Bet I won't ever find one in the right colour though  :roll:  Who was it who made the fish centre-piece?  I know Walther did one.  And of course there's always the Walther mermaid & fish.  I suppose she would do.  But was it the right shade of ice blue?   :?

Perhaps it had better stay empty  :shock:  

Leni
Leni

Offline glasswipe

• Members
Uranium glass help
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2005, 02:08:43 PM »
Hi Glen and Leni.I was just about to help with the Lily/Iris etc but Glen has very kindly sorted it and quite correct too.Just to add to the Bullrushes bowl, it was available in Flint,Amber,Blue and Green it also came with a black plinth.I am lucky enough to own this one as well. :D

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
Uranium glass help
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2005, 02:44:29 PM »
Glad I was correct  :shock:

I was looking at the original catalogues at the time.

BTW, I have the Frog & Bullrushes vase in "vaseline" - it's a real beauty.
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Uranium glass help
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2005, 11:24:24 AM »
Glen, can I ask a quickie please from your catalogue.... I have the larger version of the lily vase - mine is clear glass and it stands 6" high to the top of the points (it's the upright points not the droopy ones). The question is, did these come with a flower holder and plinth as well? http://yobunny.org.uk/gallery1/displayimage.php?pos=-145

Incidentally, I have two smaller versions of lily... one in ice blue and the other in pink (the pink one is flared out at the top, the ice blue one is narrower) - I've seen some of the smaller ones listed as toothpick holders rather than vases though. http://yobunny.org.uk/gallery1/displayimage.php?pos=-144 and http://yobunny.org.uk/gallery1/displayimage.php?pos=-143
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
Uranium glass help
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2005, 11:34:53 AM »
Anne, it gets tricky here. The Lily (points cupped out and up) was made in a 7" size and a 9" size, as well as what was described as a "posy set - 5". Each had a holder and plinth. There was also a points up Celery vase (6" and 8") in the same pattern, also with holder and plinth. I also have a tiny little miniature example.

We hope to release the second Sowerby CD-ROM very soon. All these catalogue pages, illustrations and masses more will be on it.

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Uranium glass help
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2005, 11:50:29 AM »
Ahhh I see, thanks for the explanation Glen. Mine being the 6" would be a Celery vase then I suppose. I've not measured the smaller ones yet - they're about 3" tall from memory. I really like them - I found the big one in a charity shop window - really dirty, for £1, so pounced on it. It's washed up beautifully. :D

I really must buy your Sowerby CD's - I've been meaning to do so for a while - but I keep buying more glass!!!  :roll:  I'd learn about what I have already though, and know what else to look for when I'm out hunting.  :wink:

Offline Adam

• Glass Professional
  • Members
  • Sowerby 1949-56, Davidson 1956-61, Jobling 1961-72
Uranium glass help
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2005, 01:42:31 PM »
I think we are talking about Sowerbys' pattern 2505.  This came in several sizes and shapes of vase as well as, if my memory is OK, a salad bowl.  All colours, of course.  Star-shaped holders for the vases and black plinths could all be supplied and were usually, but not necessarily, ordered complete.

Three (?) sizes of vase in three shapes and at least four colours - there we have 36 variants plus the holders and plinths.  You can understand why our warehouse manager always looked a bit stressed!

Adam D

Offline glasswipe

• Members
Two pictures for Leni
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2005, 09:52:48 PM »
Here are the two pictures you wanted to have a look at the Bullrushes vase and the Iris vase.I am pleased to share them with you.Kay.  http://tinypic.com/686ib8.jpg
http://tinypic.com/686mv8.jpg

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Uranium glass help
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2008, 07:54:15 PM »
Can those with images missing from the topic please add them back for reference? Many thanks. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand