No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Signature for Andrea Tagliapietra  (Read 4262 times)

Offline glassscientist

• Members
Signature for Andrea Tagliapietra
« on: August 07, 2007, 02:31:14 PM »
I started out trying to find out the value of some of my pieces for insurance purposes. However, it has turned into a project on learning how to value a piece of Murano Glass Art and in general to find out more about my pieces and the artists.

This is a calcedonia piece, kind of abstract. This general shape has been labelled as a "note" as "flame" and as "ribbon". The piece is 13.5" tall (total height), which is mounted on a round glass cylindrical block, which is polished on the top and bottom. It is signed on the bottom of the block. The calcedonia colors are primarily blues and browns, with some green.

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-8118

Unfortunately, there are no stickers (they were removed before I knew they should stay on the piece).

This was purchased in 2006 at Vetreria Ca D'Oro in Murano for 300 Eur.

The piece is in very good condition (no visible scratches or other surface defects). There are a few internal bubbles, but they are all under 1 mm in diameter.

On the documentation that I have, it indicates this is a "Note", but I have seen a similar piece by the same artist, Andrea Tagliapietra, labelled as "Flame".
http://cgi.ebay.com/Tagliapietra-F-L...QQcmdZViewItem
One difference between the two pieces is the size, mine is only 13.5" or 35cm tall.

Another difference is the signature. Mine is signed on the very bottom (see the picture), but I really can't tell what the signature says (or even if it is upside-down). It is however VERY different than the one listed above.
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-8119

Is this really from Andrea Tagliapietra?  He has been mentioned in a couple of other postings, but I haven't seen his signature anywhere else. 

Katie

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
Re: Signature for Andrea Tagliapietra
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 12:04:19 PM »

Hi Katie,
I have a signed and labelled piece ( 'Lovers Knot' ) by Tagliapietra, and the signature is identical to that on your piece. I bought mine directly from the glass house on Murano. They also sold pieces identical to yours, which they called 'Dante's Flame.'
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand