No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass Newbie Needs Help To ID Cased Glass Vase & Bohemian ? Cups  (Read 3198 times)

Offline shantique gal

• Members
Hello, everyone.  I'm new to this board, and just as new to glass. (I'm more of a "potty" person ! >:D)  I posted a query about these 2 pieces on the PGP board at Ebay, and am now more confused than when I began, so a friend suggested I come here for help.  I've pasted the original Ebay query below.  Some questions have been answered, but I still have questions.  First, the vase--this was identified on the board as Bristol, and not Bristol.  Doing some research online, I don't think it is Bristol, but what should I call it...and can anyone tell me about how old it is? 

The 2nd mystery are the cups.  The original dealer from whom I purchased these thought they were either Bohemian or Czech, but someone on Ebay ID'd them as Israeli.  That's quite a bit of difference!  Can anyone confirm either one?  Thank you so much...I feel really ignorant about all this...  :huh:

Original Ebay query:
Hi Glassies, will you help a poor pottie out? I am completed ignorant about glass and don’t even know enough to ask intelligent questions, so please be patient with me. I have 2 pieces I’d like to learn more about. First is this pink cased (?) glass with flowers on it. I bought this on Ebay and it was listed as pottery, imagine my surprise when it arrived. But I think it’s pretty, so I’m not going to quibble with the seller. First though, I have a few questions…(All the pictures are clickable!)

1.) The glass is in 2 layers—the inside is opaque white and the outside is transparent pink. Is this what’s called “cased”?

2.) Is this floral décor paint or enamel? And how can you tell the difference on glass?

3.) There’s no seams in this, does that mean it’s handblown?

4.) The bottom isn’t as smooth and finished as the sides, is that a drawback?

5.) Any idea of approximate age and possible origin?

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b360/sherridh/Non%20Listing%20Photos/PinkGlassVase5.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b360/sherridh/Non%20Listing%20Photos/PinkGlassVase6.jpg

Second, I have this set of beautiful cup/mugs that I’ve had for 35 years. I bought them on my first day of work at an antique store I worked at all through junior high & high school. The dealer for whom I worked had them labeled “Bohemian/Czech?” (Yes, with the question mark.) Like the vase, there are no seams and the bottom isn’t smooth and finished like the sides. The glass is extremely thin—It feels like you’re going to bite right through it when you drink out of them, and the handles are separate little pieces of glass that have been applied to the sides.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b360/sherridh/Non%20Listing%20Photos/PinkGlassCups6.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b360/sherridh/Non%20Listing%20Photos/PinkGlassCups5.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b360/sherridh/Non%20Listing%20Photos/PinkGlassCups10.jpg

Thank you so much for any info you can share!

Sherri

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Glass Newbie Needs Help To ID Cased Glass Vase & Bohemian ? Cups
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 04:56:27 PM »
Hi Sherri,  welcome to the board.  :D

Your lovely little mugs remind me of the sort of decoration seen on Rubin Rueven glass or the Ilanit glass decorating company, Israel - discussed previously on the board here:
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,3588.0.html and here: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,477.0.html

I'm sure others will be able to add more about this style of glass.

Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 05:06:20 PM »
Sherri, welcome to the GMB!  :) :)

I've made some of your displayed photo's into links.  This will let people load your page easier - hope that's ok with you.  Good luck with your identification!

I am not a man

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 06:40:17 PM »
Hi Sherri Your vase is probably end of the 19th/ beginning of the 20th century. These handpainted vases seem to have been made in the UK, in Continental Europe and the US.

Yours seems unusual in that it is cased, can we have a picture of the top rim. Most of those I have or have handled are in coloured 'milk' glass rather than cased. I think this and the unusual rim decor may help with id.

These vases are mould blown, i.e., blown into a mould to create the shape.

Most are hot enamelled, i.e. painted and then reheated, as I think yours is. Other glassware is cold enamelled, but this is thicker and rougher feeling. If it's been reheated its much less easy to feel the edges, especially on the thin layers. The difference is not easy to describe but it's fairly easy to see.

I wouldn't worry about the base, some are neat, some aren't. Yours doesn't look to have a rough pontil mark but it may have been ground down to make it stand level

Offline shantique gal

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 06:46:22 PM »
Thank you, Anne, Max, and Lustrousstone! I apologize--I didn't mean to post too big of pics!  Anne, I took a look at the Ilanit pieces shown, and you're right, they sure do look right.  I also noticed that the poster who ID'd those is the same as the one who told me these were Israeli on my Ebay post.  So, I'm pretty convinced now that they're Israeli.  I wonder where the dealer got the idea they were Bohemian/Czech?  Unfortunately, she died a few years back, so I can't ask her. 

Lustrousstone--thank you for the info on the vase.  I'll snap a photo of the top of the vase and post it here a little later. (Hubby's making me breakfast, so I'm going to eat first!  >:D

Thank you all!!

Sherri

Offline shantique gal

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 07:22:54 PM »
OK, I took a shot of the top of the vase...

Does that help?  Thank you, all!

Sherri

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 12:53:10 PM »
I thought I could help with your mugs, but no! Glass like your mugs turns up on eBay.com.au quite often under the label of Simron (made in Israel); however if you google on Simron, you get mostly Australian links (and a couple from Canada), which suggests that rather than the maker, Simron would be either a local brand or importer. So, no cigar.

There's nothing to say that yours is not a different maker in any case. Maybe someone will be able to add more later.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand