No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Nanny Still?  (Read 2876 times)

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
Nanny Still?
« on: August 14, 2007, 02:46:56 PM »

Hi All,
I have just spotted this vase on ebay, which is signed Nanny Still. I have always seen these chimney vases attributed to Aimo Okkolin and can't find it referenced to Nanny Still in any of the books that I have. I have 3 of theses vases, none of which are signed.  :-\
Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  :angel:
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Re: Nanny Still?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 03:57:43 PM »

I don't think any of these are usually signed are they?  I've never seen one before, which makes me think 'Hmmmm'.  You're right that at least one of the Millers Guides has this style down as Okkolin.  The 'lasi oy' on the vase bit looks similar to the regular style of engraved mark though.  A definite 'Hmmmm'!

I am not a man

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 09:21:28 PM »
Della I now have 6 of these vases and not one is signed - I've never seen any of these signed before and, without casting any aspersions whatsoever, I'd say that signature looks a bit clumpy and dremel-like.  I was also under the impression (gleaned from several reputable reference sources) that these were the design of Aimo Okkolin - hmmm indeed!

Offline palo400

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 08:29:02 AM »
I never seen one of these signed before and it the wrong designer.Looks like someone's been a bit naughty.

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 04:30:40 PM »

Sorry for the delay, not enough hours in the day!

Thank you for all your replies.  ;D At least I know that I am not paranoid, or going crazy  :chky:
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007, 11:22:41 PM »
£40 +P&P?  :o

I have one of these, unsigned, naturally..... Now where's my Dremel?  >:D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum