No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Scandinavia  (Read 4447 times)

Offline firestone

• Members
Scandinavia
« on: August 14, 2007, 04:39:00 PM »
Hello there - collect mostly Lindstrand, Landberg and Lutken from the 60's/70's but do have some Sarpaneva, Hogland,Palmquist etc. etc ; well, anything that takes my fancy really.
I would really, really like to visit the glassworks, especially Kosta and Orrefors, but can find very little on travel sites. Anyone been there? Can you give advice as to best way to go about it? Would be much appreciated.
Regards, Firestone.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Re: Scandinavia
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 05:02:42 PM »
If you Google 'Kingdom of Crystal' (Glasriket) you should get some travel options up.  Maybe you've tried that already though?  :) :)

I am not a man

Offline alexander

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 08:33:50 PM »
As long as you get to Sweden there are quite a few possibilities.

Public transportation, ie buses and trains, is very good and I know there are special tourbuses that
run to the glass areas. A swedish travel agent, or tourist board should be able to help with details.

Swedish Tourist Board
Alexander
Norwegian glass collector

Offline a40ty

• Members
  • Copenhagen, Denmark
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 05:38:32 AM »
Hi Firestone,
I know the area pretty well, husband I go at least twice a year :) Have just returned from 3 days over there; visited the glassworks within the "Glasriket consortium" and a few others that are outside it. 

What is your main area of interest? Some glassworks have wonderful museums whilst others are notable for their shops, others again for showing production in progress.
How long do you intend to stay?
Will you be relying on public transport, or would you consider hiring a car?

Can recommend a visit to Pukeberg if it is the actual production you wish to see. Kosta and Orrefors are very, very busy with large tourgroups and it is difficult to come close to the workarea.
You can try this link too:http://www.smaland-oland.com/

Offline cjf

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 04:51:13 PM »
Hi Firestone,

Although it is true that Orrefors and Kosta is often crowded, that is mainly valid for July/August. In the off season (especially on weekdays), it is rarely any problems to get real close to the action.

Anyway, the so-called Kingdom of Crystel home page is probably the best place to start:

www.glasriket.se

Have a nice trip!
/cjf (born and raised in the area...)

Offline firestone

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 04:07:07 PM »
Many thanks for all your replies, at least I have a starting point now to plan the trip.
As I collect Kosta and Orrefors from the 60's/70's (mostly) I would like to visit their museums if possible as well as seeing the present artists at work.
Regards, Firestone.

Offline Bill G

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • World Art Glass
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 05:54:38 PM »
Hi.

The various replies pretty much outline things to do. I would recommend the glass museums at Orrefors, Kosta Glass Works, and Pukeberg Glass Works is the center for design records of all crafts in Sweden. An excellent glass master is also working there.

Johansfors Glass Works is another interesting site as is Skruf Glass Works.

Lindshammar Glass Works is closed. Målerås Glass Works has an interesting museum with the work of the owner Mats Jonasson, a master engraver and his wall sculpture is spectacular.

The Glass Museum in Växjö is a must to see, an excellent collection of historic and contemporary art glass.

You might check the sites for Nybro, Sweden, Kosta, Sweden, Orrefors, Sweden.

If you venture to Stockholm, the Nordiska Kristall Store on Kungsgatan is a must to see contemporary glass glass from Sweden. www.nordiskakristall.com

If you have time visit the Vida Glass Museum on the island of Öland where you can see some very interesting contemporary art glass.

Welcome to the "Kingdom of Crystal"

Bill Geary

Offline firestone

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 05:46:17 PM »
Thanks Bill,
Most informative. Am really looking forwards to this trip!
Am a huge fan of both Brittish Chance glass and Scandinavian; poles apart I know but both an art form in their own right.
How possible is it to pick up 60's/70's glass in Scandinavia?
Many thanks,
Firestone.

Offline alexander

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 10:04:25 PM »
Lots of it around at fleamarkets/antique&vintage shops as well as charity shops here in Norway,
I assume there's plenty in Sweden and Denmark too.
Prices vary wildly tho - Norwegians for example will pay very good money for run of the mill
signed Hadeland and pass over excellent Murano because it is not signed. 
Alexander
Norwegian glass collector

Offline Bill G

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • World Art Glass
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2007, 06:51:07 PM »
Hi:

There are two sites which I know handle the glass you are interested in seeing.

Both are in Stockholm:

www.modernity.se

www.bacchusantik.se

There are many antik dealers in all the towns here both small and large.

Good luck in your search.

Bill Geary

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand