No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Opalescent Purple Victorian? Vase ID: confirmed - Tina Cooper, Australia  (Read 5097 times)

Offline selina

• Members
Hi,

I bought this today (and two other interesting items) , much to the dismay of my friend who thought it 'ugly'. I think it dates around 1900? Other than that I have no idea. It looked really familiar to me but Ive browsed my books and looked up various names on ebay.

Ive put as many pics as I can showing the base etc. It measures just over 15cm. I dare say...I LOVE IT. Something reached out and grabbed me when I saw it and I had to have it. The opalescence on the top and base doesnt show up as well in the pics as in the flesh.

Id love to find out anything about it and will post the others separately to find out about them if possible.

Trudy
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-8183 front view
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-8182 laying down
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-8181 base
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-8180 top
Trudy

Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Opalescent Purple Victorian? Vase
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 11:58:53 AM »
I would go with your date and possibly Czech/Bohemian - just hunches. Those roses and the foot are a bit odd though.

PS I know what Chris would say  >:D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline selina

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 12:08:29 PM »
The roses are opalescent too, the vase is heavy..the base twists upwards onto the ball part of the vase....

Hmm...wouldnt say it belongs on the ugly vase site??
Trudy

Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.

Offline selina

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 12:19:31 PM »
Just added a couple of close up pics of the base and top...honestly the pics are not doing this justice..it is just stunning in 'real life'

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-8184
Trudy

Offline selina

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 01:13:27 PM »
Hi all again  :D'

Finally found my way back to this board!! Spending a lovely time reading and re-reading from years past. I came across this post. STILL one of my favourite vases and Ive been offered money for it a few times..but still no ID at all or anything much. So I thought what a way to come back to the board LOL Bump an old post and see if it strikes a chord with someone a few years down the track.

Trudy
Trudy

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 03:13:46 PM »
I would be quite confident that this is piece of Australian art glass.  Probably made in the 80s or early 90s.  The original designs for pieces like this seem to have come from Colin Heaney - but typically he used lots of blue iridescence(Photo 1).  Martini Glass also made similar irridescent pieces (Photo 2).  Richard Lamprecht (Riccardo Glass) also made pieces like yours (Photo 3).  Another possibility is Tina Cooper.  Then there is one of my unknown makers (Photo 4).  By the way I am aware that your item is a vase not a perfume.

As you can see there are many possible makers from my perspective - but the last one looks much more likely than the others.  I also suspect you might have got it in Queensland?

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 09:54:08 AM »
Hi Trudy and Ross - I would never have guessed Colin Heany I must say - but now that you mention it, it reminds me a little of some Bernard Stonor goblets I have somewhere as well, although those are well marked. Maybe that sort of free-form (slightly blobby) base with pulls and such is an Australian thing? Hmmm.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 11:40:40 AM »
I thought the "leggy" bits at the top look like some "leggy" features I've seen on top of stuff id'd as Kralik.......
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2011, 02:23:43 AM »

Ross (in Reply #5) is basically correct, but with a few adjustments. I suggest the piece was made by Tina Cooper around the time of the breakup of her partnership with Mark Galton, called Martini Glass. That dates it to about 1995-1996.

Martini Glass operated between 1990 and 1995 and moved around several towns in the hinterland of the Sunshine Coast north of Brisbane (Mapleton, Buderim, etc.). After the partnership ended, Mark and Tina both continued as glass artists, with Mark moving to Burrill Lake on the NSW south coast and Tina staying in the Sunshine Coast area (working from Eumundi, Yandina and Noosaville). Tina now has an extensive business with a prominent web site, while Mark’s own web site has disappeared, although he is mentioned on several tourist web sites.

Most but not all of Mark Galton’s output is signed. Most but not all of Tina Cooper’s output is unsigned. Indeed, much of the large volume of output they produced jointly is signed, but by no means all. The signing was mostly (but not always) done by Mark. He has by far the better handwriting, except when he is exhausted from surfing or otherwise tired and emotional.

The attributions on Ross’s four examples are shaky. The first item, which he attributes to Colin Heaney is in fact a Martini product. The first photo below shows a nearly identical item 12.5cm high by 9cm diameter and inscribed “Martini Australia 1992”.

The second and fourth of Ross’s examples are by Mark Galton after the dissolution of Martini Glass. The evidence on item 2 is the photo of the signature that Ross himself provides on Glass Gallery, which says “Mark Galton”. This is an example of Mark’s handwriting at its worst, although the similarities to other examples of his signature are obvious. Ross’s item 4 is very similar to an item on ebay.au a few months ago, shown in the second picture below. That one was inscribed “Mark Galton Australia 2003”.

The third photo below shows detail from a Tina Cooper product from a few years after the break up of the partnership. It is clearly more mature than selina’s piece that started this thread and is acid treated. This item is unsigned, but a nearly identical piece is scrawled “Tina Cooper 1998”. Hence my dating of selina’s piece in the middle 1990s.

Trevor

See my blog on Australian studio glass. There is now a Facebook page with Australian glass news.
The Glass Puzzles page is back on Facebook. Log in to leave a comment.

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2011, 03:37:02 AM »
Welcome to the board, Trevor.   :)     Thank you, Trevor for your thoughts.  I ought to have said that my first photo I had attributed to Colin Heaney - based on the 14 or so pieces the actual container section irridescence is so very like his and if you look at the oil lamp of his in the Glass Gallery you will see why I chose him.  Nevertheles I am happy to have a correct attribution - seems like Trevor & I have similar tastes.  Thanks also for the last item attribution to Mark Galton.   Bye the bye I not so long ago visited his gallery in Southern NSW and he is still blowing from time to time.  Tina is in the process of moving yet again - this time her galleryin Eumundi has been sold out from under her.

Could I suggest Trevor that you consider putting up your collection on the Glass Gallery - I would live to see it.  Seems like you have an expert knowledge of Qld glass for example.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand