No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Dino Martens ??? Thoughts please.  (Read 3602 times)

Offline chuggy

• Members
Dino Martens ??? Thoughts please.
« on: June 16, 2005, 08:58:57 AM »
I've had this for quite a while without ever being certain of it so thought I'd pick a few brains of your ideas about it. It was originally purchased in Venice from a studio, the old lady couldn't remember which one in 1953. The colours scream of Dino Martens oriente but without the pinwheel. It measures 14inches in height and 13 inches in diameter and has 3 applied handles and a strawberry pontil to finish off. I've currently got it displayed in a metal support as an amphora vase, but it could just as easily have been a spectacular hanging light shade.
All ideas on this one appreciated.

http://tinypic.com/5zdu1u
http://tinypic.com/5zdu9g
http://tinypic.com/5zdufr

Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Anonymous

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005, 03:28:57 PM »
I don't believe this to be a Dino Martens piece. The coloration is wrong for oriente, as is the way the colors blend together and the shape.  Quite honestly, it's not even close.  

There are a lot of oriente type repros on the market right now. Some are close to documented oriente shapes. Some even have pinwheels, etc.  This piece does not seem to be a repro to me - just something that bears a slight resemblence to oriente.

Laura

Offline chuggy

• Members
dino martens?
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2005, 05:31:04 PM »
The source this came from I regard as beyond reproach since the lady is now 92 and the trip she bought it on was to celebrate her 40th birthday so that rules out it being a repro. I have a large Dino Martens goose neck vase and some of the colours in this are identical. I'm not suggesting it to be a Martens piece but possibly Aureliano Toso. The quality of it attests to it being a major studio.
Paul

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2005, 07:16:40 PM »
Honestly I don't think it a Dino Martens piece. Many differences: colours, shape and in general I don't "feel" it as the right one. I agree with the previous message, there are several reproductions, 1th because that collection was of several "out of standard" pieces, 2th because they are pretty easy to make (no incalmo, no filigree, no complex process), 3th because it is a pretty cheap piece to reproduce. Considering the market prices of the Oriente pieces, it is easy to understand why there are so many fake ones...

Sincerely

Alex

Offline chuggy

• Members
Dino Martens
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2005, 07:54:25 PM »
OK so not Dino Martens, any ideas then given that it's 50's and I've never seen one before. Anyway I've decided I'm going to have a base made for it and light it from inside like an upside down strawberry and I reckon it will look great whatever it is.
Paul

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand