No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Alabastro vs opalino  (Read 4224 times)

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Alabastro vs opalino
« on: August 23, 2007, 01:45:08 PM »
I recently bought a couple of gorgeous pieces of glass. Embarrassing enough, I can't tell if they are alabastro or opalino. Is there a way to tell that a piece is alabastro? I read that it is made to look like alabaster rock, but to tell the truth, even the pieces I know are alabastro look like opalino glass to me. Is there a good reference that discusses the different types of glass, what to look for, and how they are made? I am often confused about whether to call glass opalescent, opaline, opalino, or alabastro. I must be visually impaired when it comes to glass.  :-[

Anita
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Alabastro vs opalino
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 03:25:55 PM »
it can be both.
- Opalino is any milk glass (lattimo) with a thin colour coating, aka incammiciato.
- If the coating is marbled it would be Albastro - and still have the white inner casing.
- Opaline (confusing, wot?) is a French term for pastel glass coloured in the mass. 
- Opal glass is semitransparent white
- Opalescent glass reflects a milky blue or pearly light

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 02:05:03 AM »
Thanks, Ivo. I have been reading some more about working with opalino and alabastro, but still don't have a good feel for the difference in the appearance of the different glasses. At least now I can discuss the different temperatures and times, as well as the compatibilities with other glasses. If I ever become a gaffer, I'll be ready.  :) I have a lot of respect for the two glasses now. I am surprised that they -- particularly the alabastro -- do not cost a lot more. Quite an art that requires a lot of time and patience.

Anita
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline bidda

• Members
    • The Glass Cache
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 08:46:27 PM »
Ivo,
is opaline just the colored version of opal glass? i assume all forms of opal/opaline/opalino/opalescent to be at least semi-transluscent; would that be correct?

your definition of opalino confuses me a bit, though. what distinguishes opalino from other color/white cased glass? i've seen lots of lattimo glass thinly cased with colored glass that i would never have thought to call opalino.

is alabastro always marbled in appearance? honestly, i don't think i've ever seen an alabastro piece if so (not to say i haven't seen scads of pieces labeled as such ;) ) and the "white inner casing" ? most of the pieces i've seen called alabastro look similar to paste glass (pate de verre) only more transluscent? i thought that semi-transluscent pastel colored glass that has an almost grainy look to it was alabastro. if that's not alabastro, what is it?

oy...

thanks and have a beautiful day!

bidda

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 10:33:51 PM »
Bidda, I believe you are right. I have had quite a few pieces I knew were opalino. They were milky with at trace of some color, e.g. blue or rose. Milk glass (lattimo) may be used in the canes to give the opaline character -- I don't know. I read alabastro is opaque and looks like alabaster. I seem to have alabastro blindness. I tried to buy a piece of it a couple of days ago on eBay, but didn't bid enough. :( I will probably understand better if I can get some alabastro in hand.

Anita
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 01:09:52 AM »
Maybe one of our better connected collectors could take a picture of each and put them up here well labeled and then we could maybe see what is what.  :chky: I'm totally confused now.  ::)

Carolyn

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand