No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 2 Vases..seemingly the same but different- help please  (Read 1139 times)

Offline selina

• Members
2 Vases..seemingly the same but different- help please
« on: August 25, 2007, 12:44:26 PM »
Hi,

I didnt know how to describe these so couldnt put that in the heading sorry :(

They were bought together and seemed the same at first. However the Amber coloured one has straight up and down swirls of white glass while the blue one has them criss crossing and random patterns. Also the blue one is heavier than the Amber one. Both have flat smooth bases like my vintage Murano glass. The swirls are in the centre of the glass so you cant feel it either side.

They are 15.5cm and 16.5cm high. The blue is shorter but wider and thicker at the base. Im totally lost with these...but arent I always with most glass :-\

Any idea of what I describe these as besides art glass would be great.

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-8270 vases
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-8269 bases

Thanks
Trudy
Trudy

Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
Re: 2 Vases..seemingly the same but different- help please
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 07:05:32 AM »
To describe them, I'd try Amber and Blue blown glass with white trail inclusions. It looks like the bases are ground flat but not polished completely smooth - is that right? Just off the top of my head, Trudy, they look newish to me. Maybe someone else can help?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline selina

• Members
Re: 2 Vases..seemingly the same but different- help please
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 08:46:09 AM »
They are polished smooth Cathy, just wear on the bases. (and my bad photos dont help) They were from an oldish estate which had depression glass and Murano, and lots of other old but not looked after stuff, these included..they were so dirty,  and the murano was cracked so I didnt get it.

I just noticed on the amber vase,  that one of the white trail inclusions on the inside is like a split but is an opened bubble..if you understand that. And on the the outer where that is, the glass goes into the split bubble and then comes out again. Like a little pair of lips. Its very minimal..but would that suggest handblown?

Also when I look closely both have bubbles in the glass and the blue also looks like it has tiny flecks of dirt? through the glass and in where some of the little bubbles are.

Trudy
Trudy

Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand