No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Greener unmarked "Bridesmaid"  (Read 2256 times)

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • Victorian pressed glass
    • United Kingdom
Greener unmarked "Bridesmaid"
« on: May 08, 2018, 09:21:13 PM »
Evening all,
I come across this post below while looking for some info on these pieces, my folks had them incorrectly identified as Davidson Brideshead  which I thought peculiar as there was no reg number and the yellow one was beneath our Davidson "Helen Louise " sugar and creamer but after stumbling across premier antiques pages I beleive they are all Greener Bridesmaid, anyone have any more information on this range?.

https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,47306.msg266134.html#msg266134

Cheers Mike

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Re: Greener unmarked "Bridesmaid"
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 12:40:00 PM »
Thank you for showing these, Mike. Certainly easily confused with the similar Davidson pearline patterns.

I hadn't come across Greener 'Bridesmaid' as a pattern name before. Presumably for an unregistered Greener design.

I was under the impression that the rather fanciful 'Brideshead' and other similar pattern names often used by American and Australian collectors of Davidson designs were simply made up in the US and were never actually used by Davidson themselves in association with their designs. I wonder where Premier Antiques got the 'Bridesmaid' pattern name from - might it be, perhaps, that Greener 'Bridesmaid' is a similar fanciful pattern name, and perhaps of Transatlantic origin too?

Has anyone come across references to other similar names for Greener designs?

Fred.

Offline Keencollector

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 02:39:31 PM »
I have a few of these dishes and plates and have known them as “Bridesmaid” by Greener but cannot remember where I got that from, maybe the old Collectors Club publications.  I will post photos later.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 08:42:04 PM »
I've looked through the PGCC booklet 'From Flint Glass to Art Glass - The History of Greener & Co.' and the only 'fanciful name that I can see is 'shell and chain' on page 11 for Greener & Co.'s RD 113896 of 15 November 1888 (and even that is basically just a descriptive name for the decorative pattern, used incidentally by Jenny Thompson and  presumably taken from the original design registration details at TNA). There are, however, many more PGCC publications to check through over time.

I see that The Premier Antiques website at
https://www.premierantiques.co.uk/greener-glass-22-c.asp
shows a selection of "Greener" coloured glassware, to some of which it attributes various pattern names  -"known to collectors as"... - but with no specific details as the original source of those names.

In addition to 'Bridesmaid' for an unmarked opalescent blue oval glass dish as in the opening post of this thread, they attribute the same pattern name for a pair of purple marbled glass salts with the Henry Greener '1st lion' trademark of 1875-1885.

They also use:
 'Beaded Button Arches' for Greener & Co.'s RD 304505 of 3 September 1897 "because of the curving arched design" (fair enough);
'Contessa' for Greener & Co.'s RD 160244 of 3 November 1890;
'Queen's' for Greener & Co.'s RD 176239 of 10 August 1891;
'Royal Jubilee' for a pair of unmarked blue opalescent baskets with beaded ribbed patterned sides and curling scrolls at each end (which are normally attributed to Greener & Co. because of stylistic similarities to other Greener patterns but are still awaiting definitive documentary attribution);
'Triangle' for an unmarked blue opalescent triangular spill vase superficially similar to Sowerby's pattern 1224 spill vase from the Sowerby RD 310595 of 31 May 1877 - Parcel 9;
'Scrolling flower' for an unmarked "footed bowl in turquoise blue translucent glass with veins of marbling in white. Moulded with flowers and scrolling tendrils". Putatively dated to about 1880.

Fred. 

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 02:14:56 AM »
Mike, I'd say that yours are a match pattern-wise for my blue one in the topic you linked to.  :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Keencollector

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2020, 01:03:37 AM »
Another Greener piece named “Viking” by collectors.

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • Victorian pressed glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2020, 02:29:35 PM »
Hi Margaret,
How come you have all the blue ones? my mother had this in clear as Greener?
Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand