No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ramsey = C V Ramsey, Charles V Ramsey  (Read 6590 times)

Offline jal

• Members
Ramsey = C V Ramsey, Charles V Ramsey
« on: August 27, 2007, 04:04:31 PM »
   Hello, does anyone know anything about C.Ramsey.  I have a few  perfume bottles & paperweights, signed by him, and have seen many more, but can find nothing about him, other than his christian name may be Colin.  There were 3 of his signed perfume bottles on stall at Goodwood antiques fair today.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Re: Ramsey
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 05:01:47 PM »
Hi  :)  I found one hit on Google for a Charles Ramsey, near Inverness, Scotland.  He makes paperweights, perfume bottles and small vases from a small self-built furness.  Could that be your man?

He's on this list:

http://www.hi-arts.co.uk/makers-list.html

I am not a man

Offline jal

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 06:10:50 PM »
 :hiclp:  Hi Max,  well done, I think that may be my man. I tried google, but must have missed it!!    Many thanks,  John.

Offline jal

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 07:09:43 PM »
   Hi, I have e-mailed the address given in the site given above, by Max, and had a lovely reply from Charles V Ramsey.  He started making glass in 1975, with Peter Layton in Morar. They set up London Glassblowing Workshop in 1976 in Rotherhide. He left twice, 1978-81 to set up a studio at Tweedbank, & 1986-9 in Vauxhall. He finally left LGW in 1999 to set up in Scotland, but is now about to retire, & move back south. His glass is normally signed, CV Ramsey, and has a date code letter, and a place of manufacture letter.  I hope this may help any further enquiries into this gifted artist.
  Regards, John.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 08:00:21 PM »
That's very kind of you to come back and post that information John, and you're right, no doubt someone will find it useful in the future.  :) :)

If you have a photograph of one of your perfume bottles, would it be possible to upload one here?  It'd be lovely to see the work of this artist.  There's a new facility where you can upload direct from your computer, under the Reply box.   Thank you again for reporting back to us.  :)

I am not a man

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 08:05:49 PM »
GMB is simply the right place - :hiclp: ALWAYS
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline jal

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 07:13:15 PM »
  Hi, just thought I would add a pic. of 3 C.V.Ramsey pieces. The paperweight is from the early 70's, the small vase & perfume bottle are this century.   Regards,  John. :ac1:

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 06:36:15 PM »
Brief bio added on Scotland's Glass LINK

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Ramsay = C V Ramsay, Charles V Ramsey
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 10:14:26 PM »
The Ramsey article, link in previous post, has now been expanded by the addition of an illustrated brochures content - thanks John. Additional items will be added to Glass Images as they become available.

Offline pooleandpaperweights

• Members
Re: Ramsey = C V Ramsey, Charles V Ramsey
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2020, 05:05:29 PM »
Great resource, even if it was from years ago!  Means I could get some great info about a piece of Charles Ramsey I bought this week!  Link to a post of it on facebook if thats allowed?   https://www.facebook.com/groups/220575688006436

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand