No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: lions and tigers and barbini  (Read 1494 times)

Offline bidda

• Members
    • The Glass Cache
lions and tigers and barbini
« on: August 29, 2007, 09:08:36 PM »
hi all,

i have a question about a barbini bowl (has label) and a lighter that matches in color and technique but looks more like seguso to me. i could be waaay off, though, so any opinions would be very helpful :)

the second photo is of an opalescent bowl with deep purple rim, again i suspect seguso... maybe toso? i really don't know lol but would like to very much.

thanks in advance,

bidda

Offline bidda

• Members
    • The Glass Cache
Re: lions and tigers and barbini
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 06:06:44 PM »
hi again,

i'm pretty sure that the ashtray and lighter in the first photo match so no more help needed there but the bowl in the second photo still has me flummoxed. i've not seen opalino glass with gold dust before? does anyone know what company might have done this?

bidda

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 09:09:32 PM »
Hi Bidda.  :)  I'm no Murano expert, but that looks like white glass with gold inclusions added and then cased in clear.  It looks a pretty sophisticated technique and I wish I could ID it for you. Hopefully someone will be able to help.  :)

I am not a man

Offline bidda

• Members
    • The Glass Cache
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 09:32:20 PM »
Max,

that's the fault of my picture, sorry. it's actually translucent glass (opalino). i'll try to attach more pictures that show this better.

bidda

Offline bidda

• Members
    • The Glass Cache
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 05:02:22 PM »
this pic was taken with the bowl resting upon a crocheted doily. as you can see, the doily is easily visable through the glass.
bidda :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand