No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Uranium glass help  (Read 5384 times)

Offline chuggy

• Members
Uranium glass help
« on: June 19, 2005, 11:18:34 AM »
Just bought this little piece at the local car boot, and it's something I know nothing about. Any clues to age and where it may have been made greatly appreciated.
Paul

http://tinypic.com/65bj1x
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Uranium glass help
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2005, 01:04:38 PM »
:D It's not Davidson, I don't think. Bagley is ringing bells with me. It should have a flower-frog inside. They come in several sizes, and colours. I think you even get bigger ones with actual frogs at the feet. They're lovely.  :D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Leni

• Members
Uranium glass help
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2005, 02:55:35 PM »
At last!  This one I know!  :roll:   I think it's the Sowerby 'Lily' vase.  They come with petals turned up, down, and as bowls.  

I've got one of the frog bowls, with frogs for feet and bulrush 'petals' round the top, in pale blue   :D  http://tinypic.com/65mmpd

If anyone ever comes across an apropriate flower frog and centrepiece for it, I'd be really interested to get hold of them!  :shock:   :D

Leni
Leni

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Uranium glass help
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2005, 03:06:38 PM »
Thanks Sue ...and a quick search on Bagley ...not the same size as yours but others in the range called "Equinox"

Wayne has some pictured here http://www.20thcenturyglass.com/glass_encyclopedia/bagley_glass/patterns/bagleyglass_equinox.htm
Pete

Offline chuggy

• Members
uranium glass
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2005, 03:44:56 PM »
Thanks folks
I must admit it does look very similar to the Sowerby lily bowl with upturned petals thats on e-bay so I reckon you've got it Leni.
First bit of uranium I've ever bought though I used to have a lot od lemon pearline a few years back.
Cheers
Paul

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Uranium glass help
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2005, 07:04:37 PM »
:D Hi Paul, yours is the Sowerby, not the Bagley. Well done Leni.  :D. Thanks for putting me straight on the Bagley, Peter, I wasn't thinking of that pattern, though, just couldn't remember the correct maker of this one. :oops:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline glasswipe

• Members
Uranium glass help
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2005, 07:46:01 PM »
Hi,Ive been wanting to help on here for quite a while and now I am happy to have a go.The vase is Sowerby 1933  "Iris" it comes in two sizes and has a black plinth with flower holder (not a frog with holes in the top)It is in the Sowerby gateshead book by Simon Cottle.Made in Flint,Amber,Green,Rosalin and powder blue.P.S I am lucky enough to own one myself!Happy to help.Kay.

Offline chuggy

• Members
uranium glass help
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2005, 09:11:35 PM »
Thanks to everyone, particularly Kay and Leni for putting me right on this. I'm chuffed to bits for my £2 worth, especially knowing what it is. Might well be the first of many.
Paul

Offline Leni

• Members
Uranium glass help
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2005, 08:36:14 AM »
Hello Kay, Nice to meet you. Great to find another pressed glass fan! :D

Kay, can you tell me what figure might have stood in the centre of my 'Frog and Bullrush' bowl?  I would really like to get one, but not sure what I should look for.  I would think a fish would be appropriate, but you never know with Sowerby  :roll: Or perhaps *you* do?   :wink:  

Also, can you tell me the difference between 'Lily' and 'Iris'?  I've seen both names used indiscriminately!   :roll:

Leni
Leni

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
Uranium glass help
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2005, 12:14:33 PM »
Please excuse me "butting-in" - in the Frog and Bullrush bowl, a small 3" flower block was used. The flower holder in the centre of the Frog & Bullrush vase was a simple "Star" holder. It has 8 points around a central hole. It is similar to the star holder that is also in the Lily and Iris vases/table centres. The holder was made in 3 sizes.

Lily is the points up vase - Iris is the points down.

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand